Chicks Fighting or Are they Roos?

fasschicks

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 10, 2013
South Central Wisconsin
I have 6 Favaucana chicks that are 3 weeks old today. They are growing really fast compared to my other chicks. They have been starting to play fight (or just fighting). Some of the ones that I think are girls are jumping up and fighting with each other. They have these red spots on their face and I wanted to get your opinion if it is injury/blood and if you want to throw in your 2 cents on if these girls are really boys. :)

Picture (above) think the one in front is a girl, just starting to get some of the red spots. The chick on the right I think is a girl Favaucana - she has no red spots on her face. The one in back is the same chick in picture 5. The one on the far left is a Lavender Ameraucana.

The blackish chick on the right (Favaucana), I think is a boy, but has no spots on face.

Picture 3 (above) I think this is a boy and he has been getting picked on a little from just watching tonight. Is it normal for a boys face to look like this at 3 weeks or is it injuries?

Picture 4 (above) - same chick as #3

Picture 5 (above) - I think this might be a girl, but looks like she is starting to get these red spots also. She is one that is "sparring" with other chicks. Is she really a he?

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? If it is an injury, what should I do? I didn't see it at all this morning when I left for work this morning, so it really happened throughout today.

Wendy

All chicks have little scuffles to settle the pecking order, so sparring at this age is not a sign of a cockerel. Those spots on their faces are injuries - one or more of them is picking the other ones. Chickens are attracted to red, so when they see blood more will go after it. I would watch them for a while, find out who the bully is, and split the bully or bullies out for a while.

Are these faverolles ameraucana crosses? I wonder how they will feather out. With salmon faverolles males and females feather out quite differently from each other, and I wonder if that will carry on into this cross.

Last edited:
Thanks, Pyxis! I was having a hard time typing what I wanted to say, but you picked up exactly what I was asking. :)

These Favaucanas came from Coastline Poultry and are a cross between Blue Salmon Faverolles rooster and Splash Ameraucana hens. "The offspring hatches as varying shades of blues and splashes. They typically have a pea comb and at least one extra toe."

All of them, except the brownish one in picture 1, are in the blue splash or blue feathering. The brownish chick's coloring is confusing me. Do you have any thoughts? This is my first time with chicks and favaucanas.

I'm not sure what's up with that coloring, a blue rooster over splash hens should yield blue and splash babies, I think, unless they had some other colors somewhere in their genotypes that aren't showing on them and are showing up in the babies. Or it could be the salmon part of the rooster's makeup that's causing it. If you ask @Kev here on the forums, he might be able to give you a better answer. He's pretty good with genetics and has been able to answer my questions on the subject.

Last edited:
Sweet! Thanks for the feedback. Should be interesting to see how that one comes out. Stephanie at Coastline is pretty cool, so I might just send her a picture and see what her thoughts are. :)

All chicks have little scuffles to settle the pecking order, so sparring at this age is not a sign of a cockerel. Those spots on their faces are injuries - one or more of them is picking the other ones. Chickens are attracted to red, so when they see blood more will go after it. I would watch them for a while, find out who the bully is, and split the bully or bullies out for a while.

Are these faverolles ameraucana crosses? I wonder how they will feather out. With salmon faverolles males and females feather out quite differently from each other, and I wonder if that will carry on into this cross.

It is not unusual at his age to find a whole clutch of little pullets and cockerels all balled up and bloody mess. They have likely already settled matters between themselves and if one or two are a little worse for ware some Blue Kote or petroleum jelly will fix them right up. The only time there is real damage is when one chick or the other fails to yield or cry "uncle"

Thanks, Chickengeorgeto. I was wondering if I needed to add some Blue Kote. I am not sure if I have either, but will get something on them. Is there any part of their little faces I need to be careful of where I put it? I know to keep out of eyes and mouth, but anywhere else I need to be careful?

It is not unusual at his age to find a whole clutch of little pullets and cockerels all balled up and bloody mess.  They have likely already settled matters between themselves and if one or two are a little worse for ware some Blue Kote or petroleum jelly will fix them right up.  The only time there is real damage is when one chick or the other fails to yield or cry "uncle" 

I have one that will not let go. We have her separated but when we had he back in straight back to it she goes. Uggh. I don't know what to do.
1f61e.png

Update...
Grumpy is now happy back with the ladies.
1f44d.png
1f44c.png
1f44f.png
1f425.png
2764.png
1f425.png
2764.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom