Chicks for a quarter.

Hivoltage

Chirping
Mar 25, 2017
Newark Ohio
We are new to chickens and just got 8 from Rural King for 2 bucks. Look to be 3 weeks old or so, they just took off the heat lamps last week. We will let them out this weekend in a fenced area we made. How old before they can free range around the place and have treats? And what kind of treats can they have?

If you don't want these eight chicks carried off by stray dogs, cats, crows, hawks, possums, and whatever wild animals are lurking in your neighborhood, you'd best keep them in a protected pen. You have a coop? They need shelter and heat if it's under 75F.

When they're full grown around four months, they can take care of themselves free ranging.

If it's warm enough for them to be outside I let my chicks free range after about a week of them being in the coop and run because, that's about how long it takes for them to learn that that's home.

They are in a secure coop at night, a covered fenced area come this weekend when we let them out. 4 months it is then to free range. What about treats? They are in a wooded area just off of our yard about 300 feet. Lots of trails for them to run but still under the tree canopy.

so long as they have grit, its ok to start feeding them treats now... My chicks, not quite 2 weeks old, started getting meal worms this past week, and grit. But, the other thing is, I don't give my birds anything they might not find out and about on their own. My older birds get fruits and veggies along with their feed.

They are in a secure coop at night, a covered fenced area come this weekend when we let them out. 4 months it is then to free range. What about treats? They are in a wooded area just off of our yard about 300 feet. Lots of trails for them to run but still under the tree canopy.

Young chickens don't need treats but if you're set on giving them some treats scrambled eggs are a good choice. And when they start to free range they'll find all sorts of yummy things and will learn safe places to hide if and when needed

Here is their coop.

Attachments

• IMG_1059.JPG
    IMG_1059.JPG
    970.7 KB · Views: 11

Back
Top Bottom