1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

chicks from Blain's Farm and Fleet - odds of survival?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trailz, May 18, 2011.

1. trailz

trailz New Egg

Oct 19, 2010
    Total newbies!

We're hopefully heading to Farm and Fleet to pic up some chicks tonight. We want to end up with 3 hens, but my wife thinks we should get 4 chicks, thinking we'll loose one along the way while the chicks grow up. Are F&F chicks generally healthy?

We'll follow all the great care guidelines found on this site and others, but being novices...

Should we get 3 or 4 chicks???

2. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I know nothing about F&F but if you want 3 hens. . . . the ratio is about 50:50 so you're trying to beat the odds with only 4 chicks. And as long as they have food, water and heat they shouldnt' give you much trouble, but heat is very important.

You can always put the roo's in the freezer or try to sell them later on [​IMG]

3. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    If it's anything like the farm store chicks here, you will be able to get sexed pullets (which makes it more like 95% that they're female). As for health, it depends very much on the conditions at the store. So, look at how crowded they are, whether they have poop stuck to their vents, if the food and water is reasonably clean, etc.

I think the best plan is to get at least three but no more than you can house comfortably.

5. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I have a couple of friends back in WI that get their chicks from Farm and Fleet every year and don't have any losses due to poor health.

6. Kitty135

Kitty135 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    I got 15 chicks from the Farm and Fleet over by Ottawa, IL. They're 8 weeks old now, and we've only lost one. I would recommend getting 4 or 5 chicks if you want 3 hens.

7. Ruth Ann

Ruth Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    South Carolina
    I say get more than 3...but I follow chicken math rules.
    Hope they do well for you.

8. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you should count on one loss and one rooster so get five.

9. 5chicks4us

5chicks4us Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    One of my F&F chicks died (out of 5). I would buy an extra to be on the safe side.

10. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    Get 5 but build a coop for ten! Chickens are addictive!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by