chicks from Blain's Farm and Fleet - odds of survival?

trailz

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 19, 2010
Total newbies!

We're hopefully heading to Farm and Fleet to pic up some chicks tonight. We want to end up with 3 hens, but my wife thinks we should get 4 chicks, thinking we'll loose one along the way while the chicks grow up. Are F&F chicks generally healthy?

We'll follow all the great care guidelines found on this site and others, but being novices...

Should we get 3 or 4 chicks???

I know nothing about F&F but if you want 3 hens. . . . the ratio is about 50:50 so you're trying to beat the odds with only 4 chicks. And as long as they have food, water and heat they shouldnt' give you much trouble, but heat is very important.

You can always put the roo's in the freezer or try to sell them later on
smile.png

If it's anything like the farm store chicks here, you will be able to get sexed pullets (which makes it more like 95% that they're female). As for health, it depends very much on the conditions at the store. So, look at how crowded they are, whether they have poop stuck to their vents, if the food and water is reasonably clean, etc.

I think the best plan is to get at least three but no more than you can house comfortably.

I got 15 chicks from the Farm and Fleet over by Ottawa, IL. They're 8 weeks old now, and we've only lost one. I would recommend getting 4 or 5 chicks if you want 3 hens.

Back
Top Bottom