Any advice on a wobbly sick chick

flamechick

Hatching
Apr 3, 2024
Moon Chick showing symptoms at 4 weeks old.
We have 4 chicks total, different breeds, and only this one is having these symptoms, for about a week now with no improvement. We haven't given any supplements, I didn't think to try that before, but I did order some to try at this point. What else would you suggest we do at this point. We still have them in the garage in a "brooder" set up together.
She has always been a bit behind in growth and size, the others started getting their feathers in a bit before, but seemed in similar spirits to the other 3 chicks until last week. We got them from TSC so I figure they're the same age. We got them the same day they were delivered there.

Moon Chick showing symptoms at 4 weeks old.
We have 4 chicks total, different breeds, and only this one is having these symptoms, for about a week now with no improvement. We haven't given any supplements, I didn't think to try that before, but I did order some to try at this point. What else would you suggest we do at this point. We still have them in the garage in a "brooder" set up together.
She has always been a bit behind in growth and size, the others started getting their feathers in a bit before, but seemed in similar spirits to the other 3 chicks until last week. We got them from TSC so I figure they're the same age. We got them the same day they were delivered there.
sorry your chicks not feeling well! Maybe @azygous can help?

chicks are hard to fix .. i usually give them a chance, what id do for him is seperate him into a cozy warm spot and make sure theres plenty of easily accessible medicated chick starter and water .. id make the spot in the same area so he can see the others, but so its less drafty and doesnt have to compete .. give it a week or so .. brace that it may not pull through .. could just be the legs or joints, seen that before, had one that literally would lay on its side to eat after it got mature and slept on the floor of the coop .. eventually a predator got it though ..

The chick appears to be undersized. That may point to it being failure-to-thrive. (FTT) That often includes genetic flaws that prevent normal development.

Or the chick may be coming down with Marek's symptoms. It will continue to get worse if this is what's going on.

A third possibility is a B-vitamin deficiency. This is easy to treat for. Give it some B-complex each day that includes vitamin B-2, 6, and 12. Include some vitamin E, too, as it can help, too. Give this with egg or a sliver of selenium.

Started using the poultry cell today.
I'm watching them and wondering if I'm noticing symptoms in 2 more of our 4 😕😧 we have a blanket in an area where we sit and handle them and their claws kinda stick to the fleece, but it did not seem to matter before, but now it looks like 2 are getting wobbly like the other one, when their claw sticks, and I think I notice their poop is looking greenish. 1 is still looking all normal so far.
This is such a a horrible waiting game. 6 kids and a mom n dad here that will be sad if it keeps looking this way. My son says "my chick will not die" I said I hope not, but we'll have to wait and see, and whatever happens, happens. 🙏

Since you first noticed symptoms in the small chick at around four weeks, that gives less weight to this affliction being from Marek's, as chicks are more often two months old before first symptoms usually present. Try the B-complex for all the chicks, not just the first one.

Another possibility is something in the water. When this many chicks seem to have the same symptoms, you must take a look at environmental factors. What is the source of your water supply? If it's well water, stop now using it for the chicks and go to bottled water. If you have fracking and drilling going on within a few miles, the water table can be contaminated. Humans can withstand a lot of contamination before becoming sick. Chicks are like the canary in the coal mine, sickening from very little contamination.

Thank you for that! Seriously 🥲
I think I was just thinking the worst scenario. It seems like Moon, the little black one has improved so much! I must've been just projecting onto the other 2 I thought were showing symptoms. I stopped using that blanket so their claws wouldn't get stuck when we were playing with them. I really have hopes higher now and it's been almost 2 days with the extra nutrients 🙏🤯💗

Back
Top Bottom