Chicks from hatchery or from a breeder

Hambone

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Union, KY
Is it better to buy day old chicks from an individual or a hatchery. Are the genetics better from a breeder than hatchery. Are hatchery chicks any different.

Last edited:
I'd say if you are just looking for egg layers get hatchery birds. They are cheaper. If you want a nicer quality, better looking, closer to standard birds go with a breeder. I'd think of it in the terms of pure bred dogs. A hatchery is like a cleaner version of a puppy mill. You are still getting a pure bred animal, but if you want quality go to a reputable breeder. Sometimes you can still get a fine specimen from a hatchery but you are more likely to get better birds from a breeder. JMO

Like Egg-Newton said, It just depends on what your goal is. If for fun, backyard pets and to produce eggs or meat, then a hatchery is fine. If they will be to show or you want to breed them and raise a type of chickens then get them from a breeder.

If you are interested in standard bred fowl (poultry raised to meet the descriptions in the "Standard of Perfection") you should check out your breeders and be sure to see some of their stock. Not all "breeders" have quality stock. Read and learn all you can about the breed you are interested in before buying.

I can tell you from personal experience that I've been at this less than a year. I started out with RIR, WR, and Australorps from McMurray. All great healthy birds and great layers, I have since fallen in love with a blue orpington, silkies and green egg laying EE. I got my orp from a lady on BYC, and am trying my hand at hatching eggs. I found someone with high quality silkies eggs and someone else with great dark green eggs on BYC. I also got a orp roo from someone else on craig's list. I tried doctoring Stinky Pete for months before I finally lost the battle. So, yeah it depends on what you want them for and how much you want to pay. And like jenjscot said check out the breeder and birds you want before purchasing.

Back
Top Bottom