Chicks from same parents look different from one another

Mar 25, 2023
Hellooo!

So I am working on a project breed and the chicks came from the same hen and same rooster. What are some reasons chicks from the same parents look different from one another? My rooster is splash, so the breeding calculator says the chicks will be blue, which 3 of them are. But the other one is multi-colored. This chick is a cockerel, so I am wondering if this could mean that the multi-colored chicks will be cockerels and the solid blue chicks will be pullets? I am incubating more eggs, so I can test it out, but wanted to check here first. Thanks!

Hellooo!

So I am working on a project breed and the chicks came from the same hen and same rooster. What are some reasons chicks from the same parents look different from one another? My rooster is splash, so the breeding calculator says the chicks will be blue, which 3 of them are. But the other one is multi-colored. This chick is a cockerel, so I am wondering if this could mean that the multi-colored chicks will be cockerels and the solid blue chicks will be pullets? I am incubating more eggs, so I can test it out, but wanted to check here first. Thanks!
Pictures?

Not sex linked just luck of the draw.
With any variety (color/pattern) of a breed it needs to breed true. The way for that to happen is the bird has to have two copies that are the same for each gene of it's color/pattern genes. (Excluding sex linked genes).
Each parent will pass on one gene to the offspring. If both genes are the same it doesn't matter which one it passes the chick will get the gene expected. Both parents will have the same set of geness and all the offspring will get the same set of genes so there you have it.
When parents aren't pure and they have two different genes in a set they could pass either or to the offspring. That means the chicks can have different sets of genes which will express different colors/patterns.
That is why your chicks are different. One or both of the parents aren't pure for all their genes.

Attachments

• IMG_7210.jpeg
    IMG_7210.jpeg
    497.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7484.jpeg
    IMG_7484.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
Not sex linked just luck of the draw.
With any variety (color/pattern) of a breed it needs to breed true. The way for that to happen is the bird has to have two copies that are the same for each gene of it's color/pattern genes. (Excluding sex linked genes).
Each parent will pass on one gene to the offspring. If both genes are the same it doesn't matter which one it passes the chick will get the gene expected. Both parents will have the same set of geness and all the offspring will get the same set of genes so there you have it.
When parents aren't pure and they have two different genes in a set they could pass either or to the offspring. That means the chicks can have different sets of genes which will express different colors/patterns.
That is why your chicks are different. One or both of the parents aren't pure for all their genes.
The hen and rooster are purebreeds. So it sounds like the blue chicks got the gene from the one parent and the multi-colored got the gene from the other parent, expressed, even though they all got one gene from each parent. Is it correct to assume that the parent throwing the multi-colored gene will continue to do so and the same with the other parent?

She is a silver penciled variety. I agree that he is probably going to still be blue. At least this is my hope.
It's a partridge based pattern, so makes sense. Partridge is recessive so, the chick having partridge down shows the father carries partridge too.

Back
Top Bottom