Chicks from same parents look different from one another

The hen and rooster are purebreeds. So it sounds like the blue chicks got the gene from the one parent and the multi-colored got the gene from the other parent, expressed, even though they all got one gene from each parent. Is it correct to assume that the parent throwing the multi-colored gene will continue to do so and the same with the other parent?
Your hen and rooster aren't purebred.
To make it simple let's pretend "blue" from the rooster is "A". If he was pure he'd have 2 As.
Let's say the "multi-color" of the hen is "B"
She would have 2 Bs.
Every chick would get a A from the rooster and a B from the hen. All would be AB. AB is gonna express itself the same way everytime. All chicks would be the same.
Now say your hen is pure and is BB.
But your rooster although looks pure and looks blue could only have one A gene and a C gene.
He could pass either A or C to his offspring.
So chicks could be AB or CB. That difference could change the whole appearance of them.
That's what's happening with yours.

It's a partridge based pattern, so makes sense. Partridge is recessive so, the chick having partridge down shows the father carries partridge too.
So a purebred splash parent can carry a partridge gene? What would that potentially mean if I wanted to breed this chick in the future? Do you think he has two partridge genes?

The hen and rooster are purebreeds. So it sounds like the blue chicks got the gene from the one parent and the multi-colored got the gene from the other parent, expressed, even though they all got one gene from each parent. Is it correct to assume that the parent throwing the multi-colored gene will continue to do so and the same with the other parent?
I should of said not purebreds as far as pure for the breed AND patterns.

Your hen and rooster aren't purebred.
To make it simple let's pretend "blue" from the rooster is "A". If he was pure he'd have 2 As.
Let's say the "multi-color" of the hen is "B"
She would have 2 Bs.
Every chick would get a A from the rooster and a B from the hen. All would be AB. AB is gonna express itself the same way everytime. All chicks would be the same.
Now say your hen is pure and is BB.
But your rooster although looks pure and looks blue could only have one A gene and a C gene.
He could pass either A or C to his offspring.
So chicks could be AB or CB. That difference could change the whole appearance of them.
That's what's happening with yours.
I am totally hearing what you are saying, but I paid specifically for these two breeds from known breeders, so I am confused. Are you saying that an Ameraucana and BCM sold an individual could actually somewhere in their gene pool have had something else in their mix, but doesn't present itself and other way?

So a purebred splash parent can carry a partridge gene? What would that potentially mean if I wanted to breed this chick in the future? Do you think he has two partridge genes?
Yes, they can carry a copy of partridge. It's pretty common. Never know what recessive traits are hidden until crossing happens.

The chick has two, otherwise it wouldn't show. What it would mean, is up to you.

I am totally hearing what you are saying, but I paid specifically for these two breeds from known breeders, so I am confused. Are you saying that an Ameraucana and BCM sold an individual could actually somewhere in their gene pool have had something else in their mix, but doesn't present itself and other way?
Yes.

He is pure for the blue gene (turns all black into blue with one copy of the gene, turns all black into splash with two copies of the gene).

He is not pure for the genes that would make him black all over. Since he has genes that allow another pattern to show (partridge), then that is what you are seeing in one chick, and if you keep hatching chicks you will probably see more of them.

I paid specifically for these two breeds from known breeders, so I am confused. Are you saying that an Ameraucana and BCM sold an individual could actually somewhere in their gene pool have had something else in their mix, but doesn't present itself and other way?
My rooster is splash
Is your rooster a purebred? If yes, what breed and variety? If not, what mix is he?
It might help if you also post a photo of him.

You mention "Ameraucana," but they come in many color varieties.
Is BCM a Blue Copper Marans? Because B can be black or blue, and C can be Copper or Cuckoo, even when the M is still Marans.

He is pure for the blue gene (turns all black into blue with one copy of the gene, turns all black into splash with two copies of the gene).

He is not pure for the genes that would make him black all over. Since he has genes that allow another pattern to show (partridge), then that is what you are seeing in one chick, and if you keep hatching chicks you will probably see more of them.

Is your rooster a purebred? If yes, what breed and variety? If not, what mix is he?
It might help if you also post a photo of him.

You mention "Ameraucana," but they come in many color varieties.
Is BCM a Blue Copper Marans? Because B can be black or blue, and C can be Copper or Cuckoo, even when the M is still Marans.

Yes, both parents are purebreeds. One is a splash pattern and one is a silver penciled pattern. I didn't think the breed itself mattered since it was the color that is the only difference. Am I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom