Chicks from the same hatch growing at different rates

HattieScratchy

Chirping
Oct 14, 2017
PNW
I know typically this would be an indication of the larger being a cockerel. But these are welsummers and the males typically don't have the eyeliner or V markings on there heads. These chicks are also sexed from a hatchery (i know it's still not 100%accurate).. their feathering seems to be coming in the same, but one just seems to be a lot bigger than the other. They are 2 weeks. Any insite? One is just a slow grower?

Only had chickens for a year so im still learning!!
20180215_200703.jpg
20180215_200638.jpg

Since you got them from a hatchery (and thus feed store?) it can represent different lines rather than gender.

It may also represent slightly different hatch dates.

It also could be one is getting more nutrition than the other.

Welsummers are easy to sex once the feathers come in. A salmon chest will be female while black feathers coming in at the chest will be male.

Eyeliner works well in closely maintained lines, which hatchery lines usually aren't, so you can get some surprises. Vent sexing (the normal method at hatcheries) is typically 90% accurate.

Watch and wait. Observe the smaller one to make sure it isn't being forced away from the food dish by the larger one. Also check it over to be sure it seems healthy in every way.

Slow growth can be an indicator of lurking illness as well.

LofMc

Since you got them from a hatchery (and thus feed store?) it can represent different lines rather than gender.

It may also represent slightly different hatch dates.

It also could be one is getting more nutrition than the other.

Welsummers are easy to sex once the feathers come in. A salmon chest will be female while black feathers coming in at the chest will be male.

Eyeliner works well in closely maintained lines, which hatchery lines usually aren't, so you can get some surprises. Vent sexing (the normal method at hatcheries) is typically 90% accurate.

Watch and wait. Observe the smaller one to make sure it isn't being forced away from the food dish by the larger one. Also check it over to be sure it seems healthy in every way.

Slow growth can be an indicator of lurking illness as well.

LofMc

Thank you! Chick seems lively and well other than being small and seems to have good access to the feed. They could possibly be a day or two difference but by 2 weeks you wouldn't be able to tell. I didn't think about different genetics! I'll just keep a close watch and we'll see what happens lol

They could possibly be a day or two difference but by 2 weeks you wouldn't be able to tell.
Ehhh...could take more than 2 weeks for the littler one to catch up in size...more like 2-3 months. BUT they look to be at the same feathering stage, does the large one have more feathers elsewhere? From hard line of head V, the both look to be female.

Ehhh...could take more than 2 weeks for the littler one to catch up in size...more like 2-3 months. BUT they look to be at the same feathering stage, does the large one have more feathers elsewhere? From hard line of head V, the both look to be female.

I picked 2 with the darkest V and eye liner lol.. and you are correct that they are at the same feathering stages. When i got them they were the same size. The one grew a lot faster and freaked me out a bit. Tho i hear if I'm going to have a rooster, welsummers are pretty tame...

My biggest question is how did you get them to stand so still and take those pictures??
This just cracked me up!!:gig

I picked 2 with the darkest V and eye liner lol.. and you are correct that they are at the same feathering stages. When i got them they were the same size. The one grew a lot faster and freaked me out a bit. Tho i hear if I'm going to have a rooster, welsummers are pretty tame...
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I really don't think the larger is a male and I hope the smaller catches up and does not have some problem. The size difference is significant, kinda crazy!

Are these your only 2 chicks?

This just cracked me up!!:gig

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I really don't think the larger is a male and I hope the smaller catches up and does not have some problem. The size difference is significant, kinda crazy!

Are these your only 2 chicks?
They are my only 2 welsummers. I have olive eggers in with them and they are about as big as the larger wellie. They are about the same ages.

Back
Top Bottom