1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks from TSC

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by d_rooster, Mar 8, 2008.

1. d_rooster

d_rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2007
    North Augusta, SC
    I couldn't resist some mixed pullets from TSC yesterday. However, now I'm wondering what I got. They supposedly had mixed pullets and RIRs. However, they were all dumped into the same metal bin brooder. I picked some light yellow chicks in hopes they might be Buff Orps. I also selected some reddish looking chicks with black markings on their backs a black stripe on top of their heads.

I'm hoping the reddish chicks with the black stripes on their heads aren't RIRs as they did look different to me than the majority of reddish chicks in the big bin at the store. Also the yellow chicks are showing the start of wing feathers which are white. Do Buff Orps start with white wing feathers? Or are these maybe some white Leghorns.

Here's some pics, any guesses?

Chick #1 Light Yellow Chick, Buff Orp, Leghorn? The chicks look more yellow in real life than in the photo. I think the flash faded out this little chick.
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 Reddish chick with black stripe on head and on back. RIR or something else?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #3, from the mixed bantams bin at a different TSC than the others. Has feathered feet. Cochin? but what color?
    [​IMG]

Another pic from the back of Chick #3, feather-footed bantam

[​IMG]

2. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    I'm afraid to go to the TSC.

:) THEY SURE ARE CUTE

I would like to know what they all are to..

3. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    i would really like to know what that top chick is i picked up some of those at TSC myself and i dont know what they are

4. MS9325

MS9325 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    here is my gueses

1. Leghorn, looks like my chick
    2. New Hampshire
    3. Light Brahma, or Silver laced cochin?

5. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Definately not a Buff Orpington,the orange legs give it away.It could be a White Rock or a leghorn.There are several chicks that are yellow that make it hard to figure out til they get some feathers.it could also be a red sex link "male". [​IMG]

6. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    Went to TSC a couple of years back and wanted all cornish cross for the freezer and got a mix of leghorns and cornish. Had a bad experience with them that year so all we go there for is feed if we can't get to our farm supply store which is useally closed on Sunday.

7. Mahjongg90

Mahjongg90 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2008
    Western Slope, CO
    I have a chick exactly like Chick #3. Not to sure what it is, though.

8. minifarm8

minifarm8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    Hagerstown, MD
    Did you ever figure out what kind of chick number 3 was? I have one now and can't figure it out.
    Thanks

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Number 3 looks like a bantam buff brahma to me. Unless your camera is seriously messing with the colors, those wing feathers look like they are coming in a buff color, not white.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by