Chicks getting big fast

tiffnzacsmom

In the Brooder
Mar 1, 2016
NW PA-- Allegheny National Forest
Help. My four pullets are quickly outgrowing their indoor home. We already went up a size once and I don't have anything bigger to safely keep them in inside the house. They are 2.5 weeks old and getting their big chicken feathers in but I know they should be kept warm until about 5 weeks and we are due for more cold weather coming up. Do I try them in the coop with the heat lamp or keep them in the house and worry about them getting crowded and aggressive towards one another.

If you have pinterest, search brooder ideas! I have found my great ideas. I used a large plastic rubbermaid bin. Next thing I want to try is taking 2 plastic baby pool together to make a big and tallish brooder. I am kind of in the same boat...not the best wheather for 4-5wk old chicks to be outside and I am out of room. Hope this helps you!

I used a large box for the first 3 weeks. Now I've cut that box and added another box and tapped them together because they outgrew the first box. And unfortunately we have snow on the ground now so they'll be six weeks old before they go outside.

Back
Top Bottom