Chicks getting older! Some guidance needed.

should i suck it up and buy something they cant tip over?

Get something that can be hung. I just use plastic parrot cups from the pet store and hang them on a panel of welded wire that I attached inside my coop. You can also make grit dispensers out of old coffee cans, plastic food tubs, etc - punch a hole or two, thread some wire and wire it to something.

Get something that can be hung. I just use plastic parrot cups from the pet store and hang them on a panel of welded wire that I attached inside my coop. You can also make grit dispensers out of old coffee cans, plastic food tubs, etc - punch a hole or two, thread some wire and wire it to something.
Ok sounds doable I was planning to hang stuff one day but for now everything's on bricks lol. But ill make something up to make sure they have it.

Guys quick question. How important is grit intake at this age? 5-6 weeks. The chicks are spending all day outdoors in the run now. They have a log, plants, wood chips, dirt and I made them a nice dust bath they spent alot of time in. I brought them some chick grit and I used to give it to them in a little plastic tray but everyday I come to the coop I have to hunt for the tray in all the pine shavings. So what I did was I spread a bunch of grit all over the run in hopes they find it naturally so they wont keep hiding the tray from me. I see them picking in there all the time but im wondering are they getting enough this way or should i suck it up and buy something they cant tip over?
I scatter a little and also put some in a small container that is attached to a post in the run.

Ok sounds doable I was planning to hang stuff one day but for now everything's on bricks lol. But ill make something up to make sure they have it.
Try something like this attached to the wire fence.
https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...CM:&vet=1&w=300&h=300&hl=en-US&source=sh/x/im
I love hanging feeders and waterers.they stay so much cleaner.i use old dog leashes I have laying around that I hook to the run roof hardware cloth using carabiners. Adjust so these hanging items are the height of the chickens back.

Guys quick question. How important is grit intake at this age? 5-6 weeks. The chicks are spending all day outdoors in the run now. They have a log, plants, wood chips, dirt and I made them a nice dust bath they spent alot of time in. I brought them some chick grit and I used to give it to them in a little plastic tray but everyday I come to the coop I have to hunt for the tray in all the pine shavings. So what I did was I spread a bunch of grit all over the run in hopes they find it naturally so they wont keep hiding the tray from me. I see them picking in there all the time but im wondering are they getting enough this way or should i suck it up and buy something they cant tip over?
I use a 40 oz. Pail I got at TSC. I use a eye screw to hang it. Horizontal to attach pail, vertical to secure. I drilled four 3/32 holes in bottom to drain moisture. 20171206_090413.jpg . GC

1. I purchased some sweet PDZ from TSC and i'm curious on how I add it in to the coop. Right now there using shaved pine for the interior. The coop doesn't smell horrible all the time but it has its days and pine shavings are getting gross after like 2-3 days so I wanted to know should i take out the shavings or go like half and half?
You can sprinkle a little PDZ onto the pine shavings if you wish. Stir up the bedding. If it's stinky in the coop already, you may need to look at your ventilation (need more fresh air?) or clean more often. PDZ works well on poop boards and make it's easy to scoop poop from under the roosts.
Do you have photos of your coop?

2. I brought a large bag of chick starter when i first got the chicks and actually i think it might last until there 6 weeks or maybe late 5. When that runs out what food do I buy next.. i saw in TSC there was Crumbles, layer pellets and something called scratch. Which one would be best? They are all pullets so i would want to feed them something to help them lay but i don't know if 6 weeks is to early for that.
All of us have our own thoughts on feed - just look at all the threads.
This is my 2¢ on feed
  • Leave them on chick starter until they all reach point of lay, then switch to a layer feed. Your chicks are only 5 weeks old, they are still growing - you have a ways to go.
  • Use an all flock/flock raiser feed - this can be fed from now on (chicks to old hens and roosters) Provide oyster shell free choice for actively laying birds
  • Personally, I use an all flock feed, sometimes chick starter, but mainly all flock year round.
3. How do I get them back up the steps? they are coming out easily but i have to catch them every time i wanna put them back in a little prematurely because they seems to ignore my calls for the most part while in the run.
Sounds like normal chick(en) behavior - ignoring calls:)
To get them to come, get yourself a little can or container.
Put a very small amount of scratch, mealworms or favorite treat in it. Something that rattles. Shake your can and call. It won't take long before they associate the can (noise) with a treat. Give them a few bites of the treat for coming to you. Sort of like you would a dog;)
4. Should I keep additives in the water. Do I need to buy more or was that just a baby chick thing? I heard that some people keep Apple Cider Vinegar in the water but not sure why.
For me, fresh clean water daily is best (cleaned water stations too).
It won't hurt to keep some electrolytes or poultry vitamins on hand for emergencies.
I'm not a fan of water additives but will occasionally add probiotics or similar to water for a couple of days here and there.
Hope it all helps.
Hi! I have 3 almost 5 week olds that I’m about to move into the large coop/run with the big gals.. see no touch.. what I want to know is.. when I let them out in a couple weeks is it okay for them to eat the big gals food.. I switched my big gals to an all flock feed awhile back.. 20 percent protein.. is this fine for the littles to eat?
Oh, and I also offer an organic pellet.. 16percent.. should I remove that for the time being.. I don’t think the big gals will mind.. they don’t eat it much anyway.. thanks!

Hi! I have 3 almost 5 week olds that I’m about to move into the large coop/run with the big gals.. see no touch.. what I want to know is.. when I let them out in a couple weeks is it okay for them to eat the big gals food.. I switched my big gals to an all flock feed awhile back.. 20 percent protein.. is this fine for the littles to eat?
Oh, and I also offer an organic pellet.. 16percent.. should I remove that for the time being.. I don’t think the big gals will mind.. they don’t eat it much anyway.. thanks!
I would remove the laying pellets until they are all laying eggs, they don't need the extra calcium and imho, 16% is too low for the youngsters a well.
20% protein all flock should be fine for all. If the chicks are eating starter right now, you may want to begin adding some all flock to what they are already eating so they get used to it.

Good luck with integration - take it slow, expect to see some drama and chasing, provide some safe places for the chicks to get up and out of the way of the older ones.

Pullets that are not laying can have serious health problems if fed layer type feeds because they have calcium added. In a mixed age flock feed everyone a start and grow or flock raiser type feed. Offer oyster shell in a separate dish just like you do with grit. Pullets won't eat the shell.

Back
Top Bottom