Chicks Hatched!

Goldmama

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2019
Anchorage, Alaska
So, 1st, thank you all who answered my questions. This has all been so exciting to me. & my boys (homeschool) are loving this new curriculum ;)

My new question (I'm sure more to follow). I moved my 2 broody hens w/ their eggs, now chicks, into my heated garage. (BTW it was as easy as pie, I'll tell you how if interested) I'm wondering what to heat my garage at. I'm a little worried about the cost of running the heater on such a high temp. It is insulated w/ a heater that hangs from the ceiling, but the windows & big garage door are not insulated. I am keeping the mam hens w/ their chicks for around 6 weeks. I do have one Ecoglow heating brooder, but was told, & can see, that mama hen will keep the babies as warm as needed. So I've not set up the brooder. & I'm wondering what temp to set the garage at??

Congratulations on your chicks!
Personally I wouldn’t heat the garage. The hen has feathers to keep her warm & inturn she will keep the chicks warm. In nature the hen wouldn’t have a heated room to brood chicks in.

So, 1st, thank you all who answered my questions. This has all been so exciting to me. & my boys (homeschool) are loving this new curriculum ;)

My new question (I'm sure more to follow). I moved my 2 broody hens w/ their eggs, now chicks, into my heated garage. (BTW it was as easy as pie, I'll tell you how if interested) I'm wondering what to heat my garage at. I'm a little worried about the cost of running the heater on such a high temp. It is insulated w/ a heater that hangs from the ceiling, but the windows & big garage door are not insulated. I am keeping the mam hens w/ their chicks for around 6 weeks. I do have one Ecoglow heating brooder, but was told, & can see, that mama hen will keep the babies as warm as needed. So I've not set up the brooder. & I'm wondering what temp to set the garage at??
don't heat. My sisters chicks are out in an unheated coop with all the others temps have been down to -20C (-4F) chicks are fine they're a week old now.

No need for heat or the brooder plate...and best to leave broodies and their chicks with flock in coop.
I assume you have a flock and coop?

Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-1-10_10-42-41.png

No need for heat or the brooder plate...and best to leave broodies and their chicks with flock in coop.
I assume you have a flock and coop?

Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1638246
thank you so much. I mostly computer illiterate, so your diagram is VERY helpful. We live in Alaska. our coop can't be set up to keep them protected, so I put them in garage.

Back
Top Bottom