chicks hatching from small end

Quote:
Well will have to disagree.....the lyon turn-x ,roll-x ,even my hatchrite incubator are the best incubator for hatching...these all the eggs are layed on their side and rolled for turning.

Also learn from another peafowl breeder about setting peafowl eggs on their side and hand turning, before that had alot of formed chicks that died the last day....then try his way improve about 20 % better hatch on peafowl eggs.

With all that said , chicken, quail, pheasant eggs not much change if set either way...still the lyon incubator still gave better hatch rate

I very much agree, Some of the most sophisticated incubators in the world is designed for the eggs to lay on their sides. we've done our homework here for 30 years,I't makes no difference when it comes to quail

I REALIZE THIS... I MYSELF USE BRINSEA EQUIPMENT DESIGNED FOR SIDE LYING POSITION OF EGGS--- AND I DO KNOW INCUBATORS. ALL I'M SAYING IS TRY, SIMPLY GIVE IT A WHIRL, HATCHING( NOT THE ENTIRE INCUBATION PROCESS- JUST LOCKDOWN AND HATCHING) IN THE UPRIGHT POSITION. SEE IT FOR YOURSELF. THATS ALL.

ALLOW ME TO HELP EXPLAIN THE METHOD AND HOW IT HELPS...

STOP AND THINK ABOUT EGG ANATOMY FOR A MOMENT. JR IS ALL CURLED UP INSIDE AND READY TO GET OUT AND STRETCH HIS LEGS... HE IS AFTERALL A LIL CRAMPED AT THE LAST STAGES RIGHT? SO HE'S ALL BALLED UP IN THERE, LETS JUST SAY MAYBE HE'S 1/2 A BUBBLE OFF ON HIS LEVEL, ELEVATOR DOES QUITE GO ALL THE WAY TO THE TOP OR WHATEVER? FOR ARGUMENT SAKE HE DOESNT GET QUITE POSITIONED RIGHT... HE PIPS BUT THE AMNIOTIC FLUID DOESNT DRAIN FAST ENOUGH, OR FAR ENOUGH TO GET OUT OF HIS WAY... NOW REMEMBER HE'S JUST DESTROYED HIS EGG LUNG'S FUNCTION BY TEARING THRU IT WITH THE PIP--- NOW THE CLOCK STARTS, IF HE DOESNT GET AIR TO BREATHE IN SHORT ORDER HE DIES. GAME OVER- CANCEL CHRISTMAS, FINITTO, DONE, THROUGH, NO LIVE BABY QUAIL.

Y'ALL WITH ME SO FAR?

NOW LETS SAY FOR THE SAKE OF PROVING THIS THEORY THAT JR'S IN THE UPRIGHT POSITION INSTEAD... HE PIPS AND THE FLUID RUNS OUT ( LAWS OF PHYSICS--- POOR MILK INTO A CEREAL BOWL--- DOES IT STAY UP ON THE EDGE? NO IT GOES TO THE LOWEST POINT IN THE CONTAINER-- SIMPLE GRAVITY DEFINED.) THE PIP HOLE( BECAUSE NOW THE HIGHEST EDGE OF THE CONTAINER IS LOWER THAN JR'S NOSE/ MOUTH) AND JR CAN BREATHE... NOW THE LITTLE DING BAT CAN FINISH ZIPPING AND EXIT THE EGG AND HAS NO MORE DEATH CLOCK TICKING TO WORRY ABOUT, OR AT LEAST ITS NOT NEARLY AS IMPORTANT AS IT WAS IN THE PREVIOUS SCENARIO... WILL IT SAVE EVERY CHICK HAVING HATCH PROBLEMS? NO- NEVER SAID IT WOULD. IT WILL HOWEVER BUY MAJORITY OF THE CHICKS VALUABLE TIME TO BE ABLE TO WORK OUT THEIR HATCH PROBLEMS AND THEREBY INCREASE YOUR SUCESSFUL INCUBATION. THIS WILL NOT PREVENT SHRINK WRAPPING/ SLOW ZIP, OR MANY OTHER MALFUNCTIONS, BUT IT DOES PREVENT DROWNING- PERIOD!

Quote:
Thanks for the back up!
barnie.gif

99.5 deg. F 45-55% humidity for 14 days, then stop turning and set the eggs upright in cartons or flats. Increase the humidity level from 55% to infinity.
Wait for hatch. If you paid more than $600 for your incubator/hatcher......I can't really help you.

i am currently at the end of a hatch for shipped eggs and I had my first "small end hatch". After a day of trying to hatch and watching him I realized the problem he made alot of progress but I ended up helping him and he's fine now. My incubator is home made with a fan. I have had a little bit of trouble keeping the humidity up last few days because its been so cold and dry, plus running the furnace, but i just added more water and kept an eye on it. I keep my eggs in the cartons small side down and rotate from laying flat to tilting on each side. works good for me.

Back
Top Bottom