Chicks Have Arrived at Feed Store - Pick Up Now or Give It a Day?

Go get them. I've heard of letting shipped eggs settle for a day but never chicks.
What would the point be? To let them settle then unsettle them all over again. I'm confused.

For someone who planned ahead and ordered the chicks, and who has a properly set up brooder, I agree that picking the chicks up now is a good idea.

But for a feed store selling chicks, there might be good reasons to let the chicks settle for a day before selling them.

--Any chicks that die during the first day would do it in the store, meaning less unhappy customers coming back for refunds.

--The chicks would get warmed and fed before they go home with possibly-clueless new owners. This would be especially important if the new owners bought the chicks on impulse, and planned to take the chicks home and THEN set up a brooder (meaning the chicks would spend even more time sitting in a box cold, hungry, and thirsty. That's more tolerable if they had a day of being warm and fed first.)

For someone who planned ahead and ordered the chicks, and who has a properly set up brooder, I agree that picking the chicks up now is a good idea.

But for a feed store selling chicks, there might be good reasons to let the chicks settle for a day before selling them.

--Any chicks that die during the first day would do it in the store, meaning less unhappy customers coming back for refunds.

--The chicks would get warmed and fed before they go home with possibly-clueless new owners. This would be especially important if the new owners bought the chicks on impulse, and planned to take the chicks home and THEN set up a brooder (meaning the chicks would spend even more time sitting in a box cold, hungry, and thirsty. That's more tolerable if they had a day of being warm and fed first.)
I can see that from the point of view of the feed store and in regards to first time chick owners.
My brooder is all set up and I've had chicks and ducklings before so I feel okay with picking them up later today.

Back
Top Bottom