Chicks in brooder- have ? please

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by meggers32, May 4, 2009.

1. meggers32

meggers32 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2008
    Mt. Vernon, WA
    I just moved the 2 chicks into the brooder. I am using a rubbermaid tub with a light (60w) and feed and water. I have the light down to about 14 inces above them, which to me seems too low, but one of them looks like she is shivering. Do they tremble for any other reason? Just want to make sure they are warm enough. How low should I have the light?

Thanks

2. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    you might try sticking a thermometer in there. I can't really tell you a specific height, but 95 degrees for the first week is what most sources say... if the chicks are peeping loudly and incessantly, they are too cold. if they are peeping "contented" peeps, then they should be okay.

3. meggers32

Jul 8, 2008
    Mt. Vernon, WA
    They are peeping loud, so I will adjust it. I will try to find a thermometer, too. The only bulbs I have are 60W and 120W, should I try the 120W? Poor little babies are so small and only have each other so far to cuddle up with. I have never seen people put something from them to cuddle up to in the brooders, but since I only have 2 would it be worth a try?

I know so little-[​IMG]

Thanks

4. hikerchick

hikerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2009
    Dover, PA
    I don't think a 60 watt bulb is going to throw enough heat, especially with only two chicks in there. Crank it up!!

5. meggers32

Jul 8, 2008
    Mt. Vernon, WA
    I think that is gonna work great, I already changed it out and they are standing righ under it, soaking it in. I have kind of a silly question...the only place I had to put them was in the bathroom, on top of my dryer. I will have to do laundry someday, so will it be too bumpy for them if I turn on the dryer while they are on it? Don't laugh, I already know I am a dork![​IMG]

6. Barry

Barry Chillin' With My Peeps

They probably won't like it but it wont hurt them.

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    You need to get yourself a thermometer so you know what the temp is. Otherwise, how do you know your lowering the temp by 5' each week.

My kids are long gone, so I didn't have a stuffed animal to put in the brooder with my 3 itty bitty banties, so I'm using a tube stock that I have turned inside out over itself just to give them a little softy to sit and lay on. And they LOVE it. When they're not eating, sitting on roost or taking dust baths in the peat moss, they hang out all lined up on the sock.

When I had my ten standard chicks, I didn't bother with anything because they had each other.

Oh - I wouldn't leave my chicks on the dryer while it's running. Isn't it next to the washer? I'd move them someplace else.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  8. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    You could also put a stuffed animal in there When i recently had to remove 5 banty babies from their mother they just kept peeping even with the light I put an old stuffed duck in there and they immediately ran to it and snuggled in the folds It sure helped with mine. I have also heard someone put a featherduster standing up in the brooder the chicks ran under the feathers to hide just like mama.

9. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    i have just two currently together and they're alright just the two of them!

in fact, if we pull one out to hold, the other will scream until we put them back together!

definitely get a thermometer...

i would recommend getting a heat lamp (the red kind)... the light is softer and they will sleep better.

i wouldn't leave them on top of the dryer if at all possible while you are doing laundry... it might make them skittish later.

10. meggers32

Jul 8, 2008
    Mt. Vernon, WA
    I definitely moved them, they are in a different place now. They seem to be quite content and warm. I will get a thermometer tomorrow and just keep a close eye on them tonight. Thanks for the help everyone. I hope that we see more chicks tomorrow, although I am not hopeful. We had to move the eggs in the middle of the nesting period and so they were exposed for a good hour. I don't know if that means anything or not, but they were jostled around, too. I am holding out hope though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by