Chicks in brooder- have ? please

Well, now one of the chicks seems to be quite lethargic and not doing very good. I did have the light too low I think and so I moved it up and hopefully he will do better. He doesn't look very good though. The other one is peeping constantly and it is soooo loud. Is this normal?

Thanks for all the help guys!

I would probably try to make sure that you are dipping the not-so-good chicks beak in the water every hour or two. You could also give it electrolytes and vitamins in the water to assist it. You can get the electrolyte/vitamin powder at any farm supply store. If you can not get to the farm store, you can also give the chick sugar water and poly-vi-sol (human infant vitamin drops).

Get a tube sock for them to cuddle with. You can cook the chicks if the light is too hot. And when you are cooked, well things start to shut down. First get your baby hydrated. Any type of thermometer. outside one,decorative one, it dosnt matter. I found the wrong temp. in either direction(hot or cold) makes the chicks lethargic.

Good Luck with your chickies!

Do a search for electrolytes on this site, and some people have homemade recipes for them when your in a pinch.

I doubt an hour will hurt a developing chick. Mama hens get off nests for a while to eat and so forth.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom