Chicks in coop. Upset Babies!

sphillips

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
New Mexico
Put my chicks out this afternoon, they had a ball. Made sure they spent some time inside their new home. Put them in at dark, went out to check them. They are peeping like mad! I have a little touch lite in the coop that isn't too bright. I turned that on for them. Will they be okay? Do I need to bring them in? They met me at the window of the coop all looking at me sounding pathetic! Help!

Put my chicks out this afternoon, they had a ball. Made sure they spent some time inside their new home. Put them in at dark, went out to check them. They are peeping like mad! I have a little touch lite in the coop that isn't too bright. I turned that on for them. Will they be okay? Do I need to bring them in? They met me at the window of the coop all looking at me sounding pathetic! Help!

Are they not used to darkness? Day night rhythm? Or were they a lot colder than they were used too? I say if they are feathered and warm enough let them be. But I will make sure their safe then turn off he lights.

Are they not used to darkness? Day night rhythm? Or were they a lot colder than they were used too? I say if they are feathered and warm enough let them be. But I will make sure their safe then turn off he lights.
They've been in the house, off heater for 2 weeks. Keep window open at night. Temp outside right now is 75, going to drop to med 50s. They have a little night light in the room their broader is in. I'd say mostly feathered, I think they're about 5 weeks old. I don't remember having this issue before, or am I just a pushover?

:lau It's not easy "cutting that apron string" ...
How old are they? Sounds like you used a heat lamp in the brooder, so they're not used to the "dark". Has the weather warmed in NM yet? Like it when members have the location, easier to figure the weather conditions.

As Spartan22 stated, if they feathered & it's not freezing, they'll be fine. You could acclimate them slowly ... Put them out when it's warm out, let it get dark naturally. Not sure of your set up is, if they have a coop & run you may need to put them in the coop at dusk. Hopefully with windows, daylight will gradually disappear. They'll adjust, think it's harder on you :hugs You could make them a "huddle box" for warmth & cozy factor.

I had an Ecoglow brooder for them. They stopped using it only after a week, chose to sleep beside it instead. Should have heard the ruckus when I took it out, even though it wasn't on. Had to go back in and set it in the brooder so they'd sleep!
I turn lights on in the morning, (sun up), turn lights off at dusk (sundown). Have had the window open in that room the last week or so, day and night. They do have a night light in the room.
Tonight I put them in their house just before dark, (it is a small coop), left one window open, and went out at dark to close the window. I could hear them as soon as I got out of the house.
Weather has warmed, but the wind is horrid this time of year. Lows are ranging from 40's and 50's, with a few mid 30's thrown in here and there. Low tonight is 56 or so. Figured they'd be warm enough, lots of shavings and bedding for them to snuggle in.
Was hoping to make this a painless transition for them. Will continue to put them out during the day for another week, highs will be 60's/70's. They have a wind break in their run, so I don't think that will be an issue? I will bring them in at dark.
Will it stress them to much to continue to move them back and forth?
Little stinkers are snoozing away right now! Not a peep!:barnie

What you are experiencing is a first class, sad-eyes-and-lots-of-noise temper tantrum. They don’t like change, and being in a new place that gets dark on them is a huge change! Temperature wise, they’re just fine. Natural day/night cycles....not so much. And every time you cave and bring them in, that’s one more night that they (and by default,you) don’t have to cope with it. They aren’t going to learn it if they never have to do it. It’s kind of an “if not now, when” situation. So tomorrow, put them out, go in in the house, grab a glass of wine and some headphones. They’ll have to do it eventually, and the constant in and out won’t teach a thing. One or the other! :idunno You’ve got this!

Back
Top Bottom