Chicks in hot garage

Lizlar003

Hatching
May 20, 2022
I am a newer chicken owner and have 5, 3 1/2 week old chicks in the garage. It is getting hot outside and I want to be sure they aren’t going to over heat. Can they be in the garage it the thermostat reads 85? I have fresh water out and have given them some fresh kale along with their food. They are not opening their beaks to pant or spreading their wings to cool. I just wanted to be sure I wasn’t putting them in a stressful environment. I’m also curious what I can do to help them keep cool in the hotter summer months. I live in NC and it can get up to 100 some days peak summer.

Your chicks will be fine in those temps, just be careful that it doesn’t get too hot in the garage.

As for cooling them in summer, deep shade is most important, and a block of ice in a kiddie pool for them is my go to. I cut off the sides of the pool leaving an inch or two so it still holds water and an hour or so before peak heat I put a block of ice in it for them. They’ll stand on and sip the cool water as it melts. You can use a container from home to make your own ice. They also like watermelon and cukes which gives them extra water. Freeze fruit/veg/herbs/seeds in small containers for afternoon snacks, also a great boredom buster. Cool dirt for their bathing is easy, just wet down a spot of loose soil in the shade for them, they’ll take care of the rest. Electrolytes in one waterer on the hottest days helps, but leave them plain water too. You can try fans also.

Welcome to BYC! :frow from the Sandhills. If you put your general location into your profile people can give better-targeted advice. Climate matters. :)

Here's my article on hot climate chicken keeping: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

Shade, ventilation, water, and access to the ground to dig down to cooler layers beneath the surface are critical for our 95-95 summer weather.

The usual recommendation for ventilation is 1 square foot per adult, standard-size hen but unless my coop is in DEEP shade I find that I need at least double or triple that in order to keep the coop under 100F on a 90F day. I strongly recommend a Open Air style coop to people living here in the Steamy Southeast of the USA.

Back
Top Bottom