Chicks in November!

kmp2707

Hatching
8 Years
Nov 14, 2011
One of my hens has been hiding in the hay barn and sitting on eggs....I didn't know about it until just the other day when there were 10 chicks peeping from the hay mow. It's COLD out already and I can't put them in the coop with my adult hens.....Is momma hen enough to keep them warm? I am in Wisconsin.....

Momma is being very protective of her chicks too. I refuse to put a heat lamp in the hay barn for fear of fire.

You don't need a heat lamp, mama will keep them warm. But you do need to keep them in a protected area out of the wind and wet and provide lots of food and water.

Thanks ChickenMack! They are hanging out in my hay barn which is dry and not drafty. They also can get up off of ground level-which is where I have found them hanging out.

awwww!!!! Pictures?
smile.png

Hello Welcome to the forum from another Wisconsinite......... we are over here in NE wisconsin about 40 miles west of Green Bay. babies are so cute, my nieghbor has chicks right now too, and I worry because they are just fluffy butts, but she told me she has had hens hatch eggs as late as December, and they made it. So just do what ya can to protect them from the wind and weather, momma should do the rest. Kim

Last edited:
Thanks Kim....I actually was a member here some time ago and couldn't remember my user name or password, so created a new account. I am 10 miles west of Appleton.

I have had chickens for years...mostly just free range layers, but also raised some for meat.

Hoping these little guys (hopefully girls...) survive. I currently have 24 adult hens and can't keep up with the egg orders people want. Also, only have one roo who suprisingly must be doing his thing since we have proof in the little chicks!

Tina

Back
Top Bottom