1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks in September?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lkcaffery, Aug 24, 2013.

1. lkcaffery

lkcaffery Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Charlotte, NC
    I live in Charlotte, North Carolina and currently have four chickens which we've since April of 2012. I want to add 4 or 5 to our flock (the coop has ample room and they free range most of the day). I was going to wait until next spring but I started wondering about getting chicks in September, that way they'd be laying sometime next spring. I think it would be warm enough here that I could get them into the coop with the others before it gets cold (or cold for us here in NC). Thoughts? Doable? Should I wait until next Spring? Thanks in advance for any advice!

2. dudleydog7

dudleydog7 New Egg

Aug 23, 2013
    I'm getting chicks in early september and they'll go into the coop when it gets cold here. I think that if your coop is insulated and you have chickens that can huddle together for warmth they should be fine, especially if you put a heat lamp in your coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by