chicks in shipping-- tell me not to panic

I would distract myself by hanging out with my chickens, which is always relaxing. However, it is pouring rain here and they are all under the coop. When I go outside they all squawk at me accusingly, as they think I control the weather.
Well, don't you???

(Oh believe me I know... I got all sorts of foul looks this morning... I didn't want the snow either!)

These are some good ideas. I am going to check that my nutridrench is all ready to mix up for when the babies arrive. If I get a box of 5 dead chickens I am going to be catatonic.
Even if you do, a reputable hatchery will refund your money and you can look into some other chickens or re-order with a better shipping plan. It will be okay. :)

I agree that panic is not a useful emotion and it's better instead to direct that energy towards preparing for the worst case scenario whose outcome you can effect.
Get any medications, supplies, electrolyte mixtures, etc together. Test your heat source and your back up heat source and make sure they're functioning normally just in case. Make sure you have their feeders, waterers, etc. cleaned and prepped. Take the time to read up on how to safely rehab these chickens based on different potential scenarios (weak and lethargic, starved but active, healthy just shipping stressed), and have a back up plan for contacting the hatchery in case of disastrous results.
If you prepare well, it's much easier to remind yourself that no matter how the chicks arrive you have a plan of action for moving forward.

Do any of you know how to rehab 7-week old shipped chickens? All I could find in the forums was about newborn babies. Should i have fruit on hand? I have nutridrench, high quality grower feed, and two heat pads (but my plan is to put them in the basement for a day or so, where it is rather warm.). Then, when they have recovered, the plan was they are going outside to a separate coop set up for them with heat pads. I was going to have them in the separate coop for a month or so, so that all the chickens get used to each other. Please advise on what else I should do, or if my plan wasn't so great.

Your plan sounds good. Skip the fruit. Stick to electrolyte mixtures and high protein foods like grower feed. In a pinch, maybe have some eggs on hand to scramble up or canned tuna in water - those are my go-tos for a high protein snack when a chicken won't eat. You chicks will only need heat if they're feeling unwell or it's very cold.
If they show up very weak, be prepared to syringe electrolyte mix into their beaks. If they'll eat and drink on their own, much better to stick to that. You can even be ready to make a mash by mixing the grower feed with electrolyte water to get both in at the same time.
Chances are good they'll show up and be tired but OK and able to eat on their own. In case they aren't you'll wanna have a plan together. Not much difference between treating a day old chick and an adult chicken under those circumstances, honestly.

Back
Top Bottom