Chicks in the Rain?

chickenlover09

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 17, 2014
It's raining here. It just started, there's a drought here and it was sort of a suprise. My 3 chicks are outside in their coop right now. Lots of shavings, a cardboard box to hide in, a little food and some water. It's not full on raining, but it isn't sprinkling. Is it okay to leave the chicks outside now? They aren't hiding, just sleeping how they always do.

is it truly a coop or is it a run with a cardboard box? If they are in a shed-type coop that is completely dry they are fine...if they are in a run with a cardboard box as their shelter in the rain......have you seen cardboard get wet???? LOL

They turned out fine. The coop is sort of just a big run with 3 nesting boxes, but we built it so half of it was covered.
Thinking about what to do when it really rains hard. The land that they're on isn't flat, so all the water will drip down into their coop, along with all the water from the roof. :(

They turned out fine. The coop is sort of just a big run with 3 nesting boxes, but we built it so half of it was covered.
Thinking about what to do when it really rains hard. The land that they're on isn't flat, so all the water will drip down into their coop, along with all the water from the roof. :(
Build a coop with a roof that slants to one side and is hanging over that way the water will run off and away from the coop, also if there not on flat ground i would build my coop a few inches off the ground so the water can flow under it without getting into the coop.
jumpy.gif

They need to be able to get into a dry location out of weather. Biggest problem I understand may be with your ground getting wet and having lots of organic matter that soaks up rain. Show a picture of setup.

my flocks have always liked the rain they will be in it then under the trees..they know the worms come out in force in the rain...and then the other bugs right after...if its raining all day they do stay in coop more...and the next day if its sunny and warm they dust bath like nuts...jeff

Back
Top Bottom