Chicks in the winter, when can they go out side??

Really....never have fed layer feed.
I like the higher protein main feed to balance with the scratch grains I like to give.
Plus chicks, males, and non laying females don't need the 3-4% calcium in layer feed.

This had about eliminated and billing out for me here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-waste-free-funnel-bucket-feeder.67218/
I don't feed layer either. I have ducks, roosters, and chicks as well as layers so I like to use a feed that accommodates everyone!

Calcium can build up in the systems of non-layers and give them kidney damage. So it's good for laying chickens. But not for broodies, chicks, juveniles, roosters, molting hens, injured hens, or wintering hens.

As for crumble... depends on how you handle it. I have a couple high-sided tubs that mostly contain mess. If you're just feeding chickens, you can put water in it to make a soft block. No waste. (My ducks can't manage to eat wet feed--it packs too hard--but Miss Lydia says hers can.) And allflock does come in pellet form.
All Flock is only a 40 lb bag and flock raiser is a 50 lb bag. There's a $2 different to get 10 more lbs so I always buy the Flock Raiser even though it's crumbles. The smallest chickens I have eat the crumbles on the ground that the bigger chickens have dropped. I did have to buy Dumors grower/finisher because both All flock and flock raiser were out of stock.

20190825_153128.jpg

We have had pretty good luck with this home made feeder, with either crumbles or pellets. The PVC elbows are 3" elbows and the bottoms of them inside are about an inch above the bottom. What I really like about it is that my dog can no longer help herself to the feed, which she loves but is allergic to.

@aart, I flagged you because of the discussion about feed, but it seems to be getting pretty good coverage.

Edit, spelling.

Really....never have fed layer feed.
I like the higher protein main feed to balance with the scratch grains I like to give.
Plus chicks, males, and non laying females don't need the 3-4% calcium in layer feed.

This had about eliminated and billing out for me here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-waste-free-funnel-bucket-feeder.67218/
Very cool and ingenious! My hubby has gotten into making our feeders for everyone on the farm too...everything at the stores cost too much, and he has the skills luckily!

Calcium can build up in the systems of non-layers and give them kidney damage. So it's good for laying chickens. But not for broodies, chicks, juveniles, roosters, molting hens, injured hens, or wintering hens.

As for crumble... depends on how you handle it. I have a couple high-sided tubs that mostly contain mess. If you're just feeding chickens, you can put water in it to make a soft block. No waste. (My ducks can't manage to eat wet feed--it packs too hard--but Miss Lydia says hers can.) And allflock does come in pellet form.
So does this mean that, for my my pullets, who live with my cockerels (2-5) whom, I am I am hoping will lay..well, who am I kidding, probably won’t start now, or will they? They are NHR—23 weeks old. I doubt they will lay, but I got a lot of encouragement on here a bit ago. So, anyway..do I need to go back to buying crumbles, and try to separate the feed? Then how do I do that? They all live in harmony now, no hormones acting up one bit. I have two cockerels who, play a bit..but it seems totally harmless at this point, they just flutter a second, then go peck at the ground. So, I’d like to keep them together until I know which ones I’m keeping.

So does this mean that, for my my pullets, who live with my cockerels (2-5) whom, I am I am hoping will lay..well, who am I kidding, probably won’t start now, or will they? They are NHR—23 weeks old. I doubt they will lay, but I got a lot of encouragement on here a bit ago. So, anyway..do I need to go back to buying crumbles, and try to separate the feed? Then how do I do that? They all live in harmony now, no hormones acting up one bit. I have two cockerels who, play a bit..but it seems totally harmless at this point, they just flutter a second, then go peck at the ground. So, I’d like to keep them together until I know which ones I’m keeping.
Eating fast food is also unhealthy. But I know lots of people who do it all the time without horrible results. I personally buy layer, because it's cheap. The flock gets starter/allflock/feather fixer (whatever's cheapest) during the moult season and right before I collect hatching eggs, and only then. Is it best practice? No. Do the benefits outweigh the costs? Definitely. But I have a (ignoring the juvies, who are eating separately) 19-bird layer flock, and they go through a little less than four bags a month. The three dollar cost difference adds up quickly, and I ain't paying no $144/year for two roosters.

! also if i stay on Purina starter grower would it be okay to switch to purina organic starter grower? and should i use the starter grower or the all flock one?

I don't have experience with Purina so this is just a more generalized statement.

From what I've seen most growers and all flocks are pretty much the same. Starter usually has a little more protein and usually is a more fine grind or crumb, for little chicks.

Any reason you want to switch to organic? Obviously you can feed it if you want, but I believe "certified organic" requires that the chickens are on organic feed from the start. If this is just for home consumption it doesn't really matter what you call it, but just pointing out the difference in case you were thinking of selling eggs. I don't sell eggs but with my gardening and chicken keeping I try to stick as close to organic practices as possible, simply because that's how I prefer to eat.

Back
Top Bottom