Chicks just hatched!

2mnypetz

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Hey from Oklahoma! I'm a teacher, and thanks to another teacher who is also a farmer, I was able to incubate & hatch chicks in my classroom. (We also had tadpoles from my pond & the kids got to watch them change into frogs!) We started out with 28 eggs, and ended up with 15 chicks. The most horrible & sad part was that 2 chicks died after hatching, but it was a life lesson for the children.

I've been wanting chickens for a while, and this gave me a good excuse, so I'm starting off with 9 of the chicks that hatched. One of my kids' family adopted the rest, to add to the chickens they already have. The mom actually told me to look at this website, because this is where she got all her information on raising their first round of chicks.

I have no idea what breeds I have. The farmer/teacher brought us several different colored eggs, and it's been so much fun seeing all the variety. I do know that I have a couple of silkies because I can see some little feathers on their legs! So cute! I'm going to have to ask him what I have.

I kept the first chick that hatched, because she had to be by herself for an entire day before anyone else hatched, and I felt sorry for her. I also kept 2 of the last hatching. This was the bunch where 2 died. I was so worried about the others from this hatching, but they seem to be holding their own. The others I chose were based solely on diversity. I'm new to this, so I want to experience all breeds & temperaments!

I'm looking forward to learning all about chickens from this group. I'm involved in animal rescue, and have in our house right now a big, lazy dog, 6 cats, and a rabbit. I'm adding the chicks to that until the weather improves. They are going to be so spoiled & I can't wait!

Dee

Nice to meet you Dee. Sounds like you will make a great chicken mama. When your chicks are 6-8 weeks old you can post photos at "what breed or gender is this," and get them sorted out.

Nice to meet you Dee. Sounds like you will make a great chicken mama. When your chicks are 6-8 weeks old you can post photos at "what breed or gender is this," and get them sorted out.
That will be fun! Thank you! I'm so excited to have chickens, but I'm just now learning about them, so I'm grateful for people like you who are willing to offer advice.

Back
Top Bottom