chicks killed a poisonous SNAKE!! *PICS*!!!

willkatdawson

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Ga
8175_dscf2269_edited.jpg
8175_dscf2268_edited.jpg
I Ilive in Ga and we have a poisonous snake in our area called the Copper head. We had just returned the 10 week old chicks back to the run when I saw them killing something. The snake was a juvenile, but just as poisonous as an adult. As least that's what I have alwasys heard. They are not very big snakes this one was aprox 10". It took all I had to get it away from the hens to take the pics. So far so good, no one looks swollen or hurt. This is the second snake my chicks have killed (yeah) As you can see it was torn in sections by the time I got it.

Last edited:
I hear that chickens are great snake killers. I'm glad that no one seems to be hurt and that it was them and not a child that found that snake.

What part of Ga are you in?
Im a little west of Athens and havent seen any copper head but would like to know if I shouldbe on the look out!
I heard there arent any up my way...

We live in Acworth GA, about 45 min north of Atlanta. I'm 99% sure you would have them where you are. They are poisonous but not deadly. They cause pain and swelling. My sister's lab was bitten last summer and it had to stay at the vet for a while. It's paw was normal then it swelled to the size of a baseball mit. I grew up on the property where we live now and I have only seen 6 in 40 years. Vipers are so ominous with their elliptical pupils don't you think? Gross huh!

Last edited:
Well, I guess that answers my question I posted about last week. I have moccasins in my area, I'm sure there are copperheads as well. I was curious who would fare better, thank you so much for the info. The chickee's are due for a nice treat now for that.

And by the way, I am a little confused by part of your post as well. You said you have only seen 6 in 40 years. Well, I don't really believe that. If that is indeed your picture in your avatar, there is know way you are over 40 years old. You can't be over 30 as pretty as you look in that picture.

Anyways, hope everyone had a great weekend, and thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

Your sweet! Yea that's me this spring and I am 40. It's hard to say 40, but I quess I need to embrace it instead of fighting it wear lots of sunscreen and laugh even if it gives me lines. My husband thinks their endearing. He hates the Botox stare so many people have these days. I'll be 41 in November..shhhh...

Well, congratulations. You look wonderful and your husband is a very lucky man. And I have to agree with his logic as well.

Being in our 40's isn't bad. I joined the club a couple of years ago myself and can't really believe I am there already. I guess the old saying, the older you get, the faster time goes is true.

Have a great weekend, and keep up the good work, you look great!

Last edited:
Where is Liberty NC. We have a weekend cabin in McCaysville GA. It's in the tri state area. Tenn, Ga, and NC. I know we have timber rattle snakes in North Ga. My father and his friend killed a huge Rattler in Blue Ridge walking to the lake.
Take care

Back
Top Bottom