Chicks killed in cage

Consider using a baby monitor Tonight. Your broody had to make quite a racket while this was going on.

We live in the boondocks with heavy woods on 3 sides. Dogs bark at everything all night. The chicken coop and 40x70 run are on the other side of our metal building/ shop/ garage. So we do not hear them at all unless windows are open.

Bantam chicks can get through the grate openings in those airline crate doors. I use a couple of rows of duct tape to keep them inside with mama.
Another awful lesson learned!
Mary
Me also. I have a airline crate which I put hardware cloth over door and side vents. Raised ducklings in the house years ago.

I would have never thought this before but had anyone ever seen evidence of a broody doing this herself?
I have had broodies kill their chicks but it was within a couple days old not weeks later. And she did not eat them. I will know for sure in the am.

I've read only 1/4" hardware cloth is predator proof. Things can reach through the 1/2". My guess is it pulled them through piece by piece and the heads wouldn't fit. I am so sorry. That is absolutely devastating :(
^^^^^ My thought exactly^^^^^

I use Hardware cloth as flooring and if its low enough to the ground that something can reach it then I line it with cardboard and pile on 2 inches or more of Straw. Raccoons can still pull chicks through straw and cardboard but it cuts down on the chances of finding them. If I end up having problems I would wood across the bottom, or in my case Bamboo because I have a lot of it. line the floor with that and pile on straw. It adds more work to clean up compared to letting dropping fall through but if you have anything that sleeps on the floor you need a bit more security. With roosting birds you have less to worry about.

^^^^^ My thought exactly^^^^^

I use Hardware cloth as flooring and if its low enough to the ground that something can reach it then I line it with cardboard and pile on 2 inches or more of Straw. Raccoons can still pull chicks through straw and cardboard but it cuts down on the chances of finding them. If I end up having problems I would wood across the bottom, or in my case Bamboo because I have a lot of it. line the floor with that and pile on straw. It adds more work to clean up compared to letting dropping fall through but if you have anything that sleeps on the floor you need a bit more security. With roosting birds you have less to worry about.

Thank you. I will do that.
I have always used this cage for store bought or shipped chicks. Never had a problem. The floor is 2' off the ground but a Raccoon could reach that far. But this cage is inside a run which has 2x4 welded wire and 1/2" hardwire cloth topped with 1" heavy nylon bird netting.
I will fix the bottom with full plywood instead of the 18"x24" piece and pray it will never happen again.
Thank you again

Back
Top Bottom