Chicks killed in cage

Sarkchick

Crowing
6 Years
Oct 8, 2015
SE Arkansas
Have not been on in a long while. But I need soon help. Had a Banty hen with 7 2 week old in a 4x4 2 foot high coop. 2 ft off the ground. Solid 1/2" hardware cloth, sides, bottom and roof with 3/4" plywood on roof.

Last night "something" got in and ate 4 chicks, leaving only bloody skulls. A fifth chick was dead with no marks, probably killed by her trying to save her other chicks.

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks, Linda

Picture of this 4x4 cage would help us .
Of there is a gap around the door or access, or if the door flexes with little effort, it could have been a weasel or a rat.
Eating everything but the skull would sound more to me like the leavings of a rat. A weasel would not have eaten it all and made sure to kill everything living in the cage.
I know its solid hardware cloth, but i would have a section with board so they dont have exposure to something that could potentially grasp or peck at them from underneath at night.
I had a young redtail hawk under my hutch one day pecking up at the baby chick feet 2 summers ago through the 1/2 hardware cloth mesh.
Sorry you lost your chicks. Its sad.

Either something small got in the cage. A vole is a meat eater and about the same size as a mouse.
The 1x2 wire would let small critters into that section.
I found a mess of chick wings breeks and feet and a very upset broody mom one morning many years ago and it turned out to be a ferel cat in my case. I did not have a very secure coop back then.
Consider using a baby monitor Tonight. Your broody had to make quite a racket while this was going on. That and a motion camera may solve this mystery.
The underneath part was only fenced to keep chickens from eating wet wasted feed not to keep critters out. The floor is above that.
I do not know about voles. My large chicken coop is solid wood except for a couple windows. It does get mice inside that's why I put chicks in this. My mistake.
I put her and the 3 surviving chicks in another coop. My trail cam was stolen last year by deer hunters on our property without permission. And do not have baby monitor.
thank you for all the ideas and advice. It was just upsetting. And needed to release some anger
This site is awsome
I lost chicks, and had their mama torn up but alive, in the morning years ago. They were in a smaller airline crate, and pulled through the front cage grating by raccoons. Awful! After that, I use a very large airline crate at least, and in the safe coop at night.
Mary
Good idea. Easier to clean also. Thanks

Consider using a baby monitor Tonight. Your broody had to make quite a racket while this was going on.

We live in the boondocks with heavy woods on 3 sides. Dogs bark at everything all night. The chicken coop and 40x70 run are on the other side of our metal building/ shop/ garage. So we do not hear them at all unless windows are open.

Bantam chicks can get through the grate openings in those airline crate doors. I use a couple of rows of duct tape to keep them inside with mama.
Another awful lesson learned!
Mary
Me also. I have a airline crate which I put hardware cloth over door and side vents. Raised ducklings in the house years ago.

Back
Top Bottom