Chicks lethargic and quiet. HELP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by knynrstylvr222, May 8, 2008.

1. knynrstylvr222

knynrstylvr222 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    My chick is now 1.5 days old, and this morning he seems to be very quiet and just sleeping a lot under the lamp. Im not sure if this is normal behavior. His right eye wont open either, but someone said that could be normal. Im really getting concerned [​IMG]

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Has he/she been up any walking around since it hatched out?...day olds sleep alot the first few days, they just plop over and doze off like any new born animal...eating and drinking?...

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    They do sleep alot the first couple of days...they go from standing to falling over snoozing. Have you tried a soft cloth dampened with a bit a warm water to open his eye? Is it gunked up or anything noticeable?

If s/he is eating and drinking I would just keep an eye on it.

4. greenmulberry

greenmulberry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Iowa
    Make sure he is drinking! I had one chick that didn't seem to know where the water was even though I dipped her beak upon putting her in the brooder.

I watched and watched her and noted that she was so lethargic, and she also never drank, so I dipped her beak one more time and she drank and drank and drank and drank. And then she perked right up! I was so shocked that a chick would just die of thrist with a waterer in the brooder.

5. knynrstylvr222

knynrstylvr222 Out Of The Brooder

May 5, 2008
    He is drinking, but isnt interested in the crumbles. Is there a way to get him to eat? or will they figure that out themself? I have the food just on the floor in the box, using a little towel for a bottem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by