Chicks lethargic and quiet. HELP!!

knynrstylvr222

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 5, 2008
My chick is now 1.5 days old, and this morning he seems to be very quiet and just sleeping a lot under the lamp. Im not sure if this is normal behavior. His right eye wont open either, but someone said that could be normal. Im really getting concerned
sad.png

Has he/she been up any walking around since it hatched out?...day olds sleep alot the first few days, they just plop over and doze off like any new born animal...eating and drinking?...

They do sleep alot the first couple of days...they go from standing to falling over snoozing. Have you tried a soft cloth dampened with a bit a warm water to open his eye? Is it gunked up or anything noticeable?

If s/he is eating and drinking I would just keep an eye on it.

Make sure he is drinking! I had one chick that didn't seem to know where the water was even though I dipped her beak upon putting her in the brooder.

I watched and watched her and noted that she was so lethargic, and she also never drank, so I dipped her beak one more time and she drank and drank and drank and drank. And then she perked right up! I was so shocked that a chick would just die of thrist with a waterer in the brooder.

He is drinking, but isnt interested in the crumbles. Is there a way to get him to eat? or will they figure that out themself? I have the food just on the floor in the box, using a little towel for a bottem.

Back
Top Bottom