Chicks lethargic, wheezing and dead, one each day

Kdiddy123

Hatching
Feb 10, 2021
I don't know what to do! I had a group of 11 chicks and I am now down to 4. Since day 3 I have been losing 1-2 chicks per day (now on day 8). They look great, then a little sprawled out and lethargic, then it looks like they are having trouble breathing and then dead. All of this happens within 6-8 hours!

I've hatched them at home and they are both Spitzhauben and Silkie. They looked great the first few days! They have proper heat, food and clean water. Droppings look just fine.

I am desperate to stop whatever is causing this so I really appreciate your thoughts!

Can you describe the brooder setup, what food and water you are giving them, etc? Are they on medicated feed? In close contact with adult chickens/outside coop?

Can you describe the brooder setup, what food and water you are giving them, etc? Are they on medicated feed? In close contact with adult chickens/outside coop?
The brooder is 3'x3' with a heat lamp, set at 90 degrees (but room to move away from the heat source) and pine shavings litter. They are on medicated feed and in a building separate from any adult birds.

The brooder is 3'x3' with a heat lamp, set at 90 degrees (but room to move away from the heat source) and pine shavings litter. They are on medicated feed and in a building separate from any adult birds.
Is that 90 in the whole brooder or just under the lamp?

If they are 8 days old, then 90 is likely too warm and they are overheating.

When you have time, photos would be good.

2nd getting the temperature of the cold area. Do you check them all for pasty butt? Observe them drinking, eating etc?

2nd getting the temperature of the cold area. Do you check them all for pasty butt? Observe them drinking, eating etc?
It's 90 right under the lamp and goes down to 75 degrees at the edges. The food and water are at about the 80 degree point. All chicks eat, drink and seem good... Until they don't!

It's 90 right under the lamp and goes down to 75 degrees at the edges. The food and water are at about the 80 degree point. All chicks eat, drink and seem good... Until they don't!
Lower your temperature in the brooder to around 85 under the lamp.

Is the lamp new - have you used it before with other chicks?
How's the ventilation in your brooder?

We are trying to help you trouble shoot this - if you can please post some photos of the brooder set-up, chicks and their poop it may be helpful.
Thank You!:)

Lower your temperature in the brooder to around 85 under the lamp.

Is the lamp new - have you used it before with other chicks?
How's the ventilation in your brooder?

We are trying to help you trouble shoot this - if you can please post some photos of the brooder set-up, chicks and their poop it may be helpful.
Thank You!:)

PXL_20210210_193843712.jpg

This is how it looks. I am using a medicated chick starter and the red are small pieces of watermelon.

Back
Top Bottom