Chicks maybe exposed to something, not sure if contagious

TinyBirds

Songster
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Texas
I hatched some chicks from ebay hatching eggs and the chicks started breathing weird (some just a faint rattle sound and one was more like an occasional gasping and some little sneezes but no discharge). I freaked out and put them down (assuming it is something like MG that came through the eggs from the ebay seller flock) to try and protect the rest of my flock. I've bought many hatching eggs and never had this happen before. I have still isolated the other chicks that were briefly in the brooder with those chicks. Now what do i do? I will keep everything as clean as possible and the brooder is in our house far from our other chickens. I'd rather just find someone willing to take these (knowing about the possible exposure to something of course) that could be exposed, but realize i maybe should cull all of them just in case. Or if i wait 30 days and no sign of spread, is that long enough? There are 2 beltsville turkeys in that brooder, and all my lav and buff ameraucana chicks, and some barred rock heritage and even paint silkies! They all look fine right now, cross fingers! The ones i had to put down were just some cheap speckled sussex from ebay eggs but i'll probably still have nightmares about having to put them down.

Last edited:
I would wait the 30 days and see what happens. You can also get them tested to make sure they don't have MG or something else.

Thanks so much! I asked someone locally about NPIP here in Texas and they only seem to do the one test here I think called P/T which we do already because we sometimes bring chickens to shows.
I found this link on another thread so I will call them about necropsy if any of the other chicks gets sick:
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/nahln/downloads/all_nahln_lab_list.pdf

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Hurray! None of the others got sick. Maybe I was over-reacting. Now I feel bad though about the others since maybe they were just weak birds compared to what I was used to. Their only symptom was the weird gasping type breathing so I still don't know why they would have done that if they weren't sick.

Back
Top Bottom