Chicks no more...

TonkaBarbie

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Newport, NC
Hi everyone,
I have gotten a plethora of great information from just reading this website. My girls just recently started laying eggs so I have a whole new crop of questions, I am trying to figure out how to determine who my layers are. I think I have 2 Golden Nuggets, 2 Barred Rocks and 2 Ameracaunas. So far my eggs have all been brown eggs or brown with dark brown speckles.
Anyone have any insight you might be able to share with me???

Also, there is something called a "pea comb" and supposedly an Ameracauna with a "pea comb" will lay the blue/green (Easter Eggs) Is that true? If so, then I am definitely not getting any eggs from Tigger or Nugget. Tigger is the one with the poofy cheeks and Tigger is my smaller girl is Nugget. The 2 golden girls are Scarlette and Blondie and the Barred Rocks are Tang and BocToy. (I dunno, my daughter's idea)

Thanks in advance for any information you may have!

The top two hens are laying, I think, they have the reddest and most developed crests and wattles and faces of them all. The BRs should be next by the look of it.

Best wishes.

Those Golden Nuggets start laying early. The ones I have started laying 3 or 4 weeks before my production red did. Those Golden Nuggets will give you nice big brown eggs every day. When they first start laying they are not jumbo size but will get bigger as they get grow

Last edited:

We love the eggs and they are getting bigger! Yesterday was the first time that we got a blue egg!!! Yay!

Back
Top Bottom