Chicks not absorbing yolk

Yes this is my first time raising chickens I never knew there was so much to it. This was the first time hatching babies as well my chickens are free range and that's why I didn't notice it at first. Now this baby has spent most of the day yesterday with me it has gotten attached and chirps like crazy when I'm not around idk if this is good or bad but it's a heck of a task.

Yes this is my first time raising chickens I never knew there was so much to it. This was the first time hatching babies as well my chickens are free range and that's why I didn't notice it at first. Now this baby has spent most of the day yesterday with me it has gotten attached and chirps like crazy when I'm not around idk if this is good or bad but it's a heck of a task.
Oh wow, yes, there really is a lot to it. I had one with the same issue hatch out and it was able to absorb most of the yolk on its own. When it dried, 1.5 weeks later I brought it to the vet to have a look and see if we needed to remove the dried material, or leave in place. She decided to remove it and ended up putting a stitch in the baby's belly. She said it probably would have been fine to leave, but she decided to remove it and put the stitch so that there would be no issues. The chick (Stitch) is doing great and is 10 weeks old now.

When chicks chirp a lot it is almost always that they are a bit too cold. When mine start doing that, I gently push them under the booder and they quiet down - just like a mama hen would do. : )

Oh wow, yes, there really is a lot to it. I had one with the same issue hatch out and it was able to absorb most of the yolk on its own. When it dried, 1.5 weeks later I brought it to the vet to have a look and see if we needed to remove the dried material, or leave in place. She decided to remove it and ended up putting a stitch in the baby's belly. She said it probably would have been fine to leave, but she decided to remove it and put the stitch so that there would be no issues. The chick (Stitch) is doing great and is 10 weeks old now.

When chicks chirp a lot it is almost always that they are a bit too cold. When mine start doing that, I gently push them under the booder and they quiet down - just like a mama hen would do. : )
Ya I've tried the warmth thing but that's not what seems to satisfy the little one it seems to just want to be snuggled.

Back
Top Bottom