Chicks not accepting broody hen. Heartbroken chook :(

Hens have a favorite nest. Sometimes it may not be a great place for chicks/eggs. I never try and move a sitting hen, I just mark the eggs that are all the same age, mark them and remove extras. With chicks that are day old, or sometimes older, I give her babies at night, and cover the opening, let them stay the night, then take away the cover in the morning and take away the chicks. I only let her have them at night for a few nights. Soon enough they bond, I have even had older chicks bond in this manner. Below is a hen who wasn't broody, but had a hurt wing, and could not roost. Every night, I would give her the lavender rooster, soon they were bonded. He may have been 8 weeks old. They never left each other's side.

win3.PNG

Hens have a favorite nest. Sometimes it may not be a great place for chicks/eggs. I never try and move a sitting hen, I just mark the eggs that are all the same age, mark them and remove extras. With chicks that are day old, or sometimes older, I give her babies at night, and cover the opening, let them stay the night, then take away the cover in the morning and take away the chicks. I only let her have them at night for a few nights. Soon enough they bond, I have even had older chicks bond in this manner. Below is a hen who wasn't broody, but had a hurt wing, and could not roost. Every night, I would give her the lavender rooster, soon they were bonded. He may have been 8 weeks old. They never left each other's side.

View attachment 2888123
Awwwwwwww! Great photo! And great outcome.

I would suggest putting them in sooner, rather than later. Right now, mama is still in “Mama Mode” and will protect them from the other hens. If you wait too long, she’ll wean them and they’re going to have to try to integrate on their own, without her help. If you’re worried about the ISA killing them, separate her for a few weeks. (Personally, she would no longer be in my flock.)
Yes I totally agree, thing is, they can slip through the wire, which stresses their mum out immensely. Hence why I am waiting till they are a bit bigger. They free range in the afternoon with the rest of the flock and are fitting in fine. The isa killed a fresh newborn from an egg once, which was my fault cause I had let my hen stay in her favourite nesting box in the main coop instead of seperating them from the flock. She has no issues with these bigger chicks. Completely agree with you though

Back
Top Bottom