Chicks not hatching

wf1992

Songster
6 Years
Jun 1, 2017
Okanagan, BC
I thought there was pipping this morning (day 22), but this is what the egg looks like this evening. I don't see the membrane punctured anywhere and it appears to be drying out now. I'm not noticing movement and assume it's too late, but have left it under mama. Thoughts? Something I should have done earlier? I've been trying to be patient and not interfere, but I think there's another one the looks similar... Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_7279[1].JPG
    IMG_7279[1].JPG
    494.8 KB · Views: 9
Sometimes chicks are too weak to get all of the way out of the shell. There may be a good reason for it, something wrong with the chick or it possibly won’t thrive. Some people do try to help with those chicks, but in my limited experience, most of those that you help do not make it. Sorry about the egg. I will refer you to this thread for help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching.64660/

It sounds like they were under a hen. There is not much to be done to help a broody hatch eggs. Was it a first time setter? She might do better next time.

Last summer she hatched 6/7 eggs, in 19 days, and they were all pullets. That our & her first hatch. This time is not going so well 😢

Back
Top Bottom