Chicks not leaving coop

MEP2013

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2015
Hi! I have seen this question asked but now I can't find any of the threads. We officially moved our 5 and 6 week chicks to their coop and enclosed run. (We are not doing free range at this time due to large predators in the area).
We had been putting them out in the run all day for about a week prior to the move but since we officially moved them they barely come out of their coop. We just put a tarp up to see if they need more shade, but is this typical behavior??

Hi! I have seen this question asked but now I can't find any of the threads. We officially moved our 5 and 6 week chicks to their coop and enclosed run. (We are not doing free range at this time due to large predators in the area).
We had been putting them out in the run all day for about a week prior to the move but since we officially moved them they barely come out of their coop. We just put a tarp up to see if they need more shade, but is this typical behavior??

It's normal - while they have been in the run before, this is a whole new situation for them (it wouldn't seem like a big deal to us looking at it, but from their perspective, it is). How long has it been since you put them in the coop? Where is the food and water located - coop or run?

I had the opposite problem. Mine would stay in the run and I had to put them in the coop at night. It took three days and then they went in all by themselves! Mine are now 8 weeks old on Wednesday. We started them outside at 6.5 weeks.

Thank you for the replies!
It's only been two days so maybe a few more days and they will venture out more often. We thought the tarp was helping because they all came outside but I think they were just checking things out because they went right back in, lol!
They have two waters, one inside and one outside. We have been moving the food inside at night and locking them up and then bringing the food outside in the morning when we let them out.

Thank you for the replies!
It's only been two days so maybe a few more days and they will venture out more often. We thought the tarp was helping because they all came outside but I think they were just checking things out because they went right back in, lol!
They have two waters, one inside and one outside. We have been moving the food inside at night and locking them up and then bringing the food outside in the morning when we let them out.

I had food and water inside and out when I first started. They made such a mess inside!! So once they "put their big girl panties on" and went inside by themselves, I figured they were ready to be like big chickens and the food stayed outside.

Ours spent several weeks in the coop since the run wasn't finished. I thought they'd come right out, happy to be outdoors. But no, it took a day or two for them to venture out. I started only giving treats in the run. They learned quickly that going out meant yummy things and lots of room to scratch around. Now they're out most of the time when I check on them.

Thank you everyone! They have been out and about yesterday and today. They definitely just needed time. It's amazing how much they have grown since being outside! I love watching my chickens!!

I have 3 RIR 18 wk old hens. They have been in the coop with the rest of the hens 6@ 8 Months - Leg Horns, RIR Rooster 10 months, and 4 Andalusian 18 wks old. The Andalusians have fit right into the group and are doing great, while the RIR will not leave the coop. It has been 8 weeks that they have stayed in the coop. They are even trying to nest, they seem happy, and they all roost together at night no problems. The rooster goes in and out of the coop during the day but they refuse to leave. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom