Chicks not roosting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PollitosNS, May 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. PollitosNS

PollitosNS Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2017
    Nova Scotia
    Hi! First time chicken keeper. I put my chicks in the coop this week. They are 6-8 weeks. It's been a bit cold (going down to 5 degrees at night) so maybe they are just getting used to it. But they are all cuddling on the floor or all piled on top of eachother in the dustbath I put in there - like the pic. There are 12 chickens in there! It's quirky and amusing but I don't want them smothered!

I wondering if this is normal? How can I encourage them to roost? What height/width should the roosts be?

All advice is appreciated!! :)

Attached Files:

2. Mace Gill

Mace Gill Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2017
    New Jersey
    Totally normal. They'll roost when they're ready.

PollitosNS likes this.
  3. Abriana

Abriana Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2017
    From my blue coop
    My chickens didn't roost for so long, that when they did, I was celebrating because I thought they never would. They will when they are ready. Especially if you have new chicks with older hens, it will take a while until they get higher in the pecking order, because the hens will peck them off.

PollitosNS likes this.
  4. Wel/Rk

Wel/Rk New Egg

May 29, 2017
    I looks to me like they are still very young. I think they are all laying close to keep warm. I would start setting up a roost about 32 inches of the ground and raise it as they get older.

PollitosNS likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by