Chicks not roosting?

PollitosNS

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2017
Nova Scotia
Hi! First time chicken keeper. I put my chicks in the coop this week. They are 6-8 weeks. It's been a bit cold (going down to 5 degrees at night) so maybe they are just getting used to it. But they are all cuddling on the floor or all piled on top of eachother in the dustbath I put in there - like the pic. There are 12 chickens in there! It's quirky and amusing but I don't want them smothered!

I wondering if this is normal? How can I encourage them to roost? What height/width should the roosts be?

All advice is appreciated!! :)

Attachments

• 20170528_201734.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 6
Hi! First time chicken keeper. I put my chicks in the coop this week. They are 6-8 weeks. It's been a bit cold (going down to 5 degrees at night) so maybe they are just getting used to it. But they are all cuddling on the floor or all piled on top of eachother in the dustbath I put in there - like the pic. There are 12 chickens in there! It's quirky and amusing but I don't want them smothered!

I wondering if this is normal? How can I encourage them to roost? What height/width should the roosts be?

Totally normal. They'll roost when they're ready.

My chickens didn't roost for so long, that when they did, I was celebrating because I thought they never would. They will when they are ready. Especially if you have new chicks with older hens, it will take a while until they get higher in the pecking order, because the hens will peck them off.

I looks to me like they are still very young. I think they are all laying close to keep warm. I would start setting up a roost about 32 inches of the ground and raise it as they get older.

Back
Top Bottom