Chicks not touching grit?

JoeInPA

Songster
Aug 25, 2019
Western Pennsylvania
My 5/6 week old chicks have been outside for about 8 hours a day for the past four or five days and they totally love it. They have been eating plenty of grass and bugs. However I've noticed they haven't touched their grit. I've made it available to them all the time, even when I bring them inside for the night, but they have yet to touch it. I was thinking they would've eaten some of it by now considering all the things they've been eating. Is this normal? Should I trust them to know when they need it? Anything I should do to make sure they are getting enough grit?

The grit I bought is chick grit which is pretty fine, I would think they could eat it if they wanted. They are outside in a run which is on top of my lawn. I guess they can pick through the grass into the soil and get little rocks. My pullet has pulled some pretty big bugs from the ground, so I guess she could pull up some pebbles.

So I guess I should just trust them that they will eat it if they need it?

I mix Chick Grit into Start & Grow feed at a ratio of 1/40. Starting at 2 weeks of age through 10 weeks.
2 ounces Grit/5 lbs Feed. 10 ounces Grit/25 lbs Feed. I use a kitchen scale to weigh the Grit.
At 7 weeks I offer Poultry Grit separately. 20181214_095809.jpg . GC

Back
Top Bottom