Chicks now or spring?

Go ahead and get them now. I wouldn't be able to wait, so that's a biased opinion. They're just too cute!

Chickens generally tolerate cold temperatures better than they do hot, so now is probably a good time. It was much easier to keep ours warm in cold weather than cool in hot weather.

Can you get electricity to your coop? If using a heated water dish is an option, then that takes away the worst part about dealing with chickens in winter - the frozen water. So if you can use a heated water container, then I say go for it. Otherwise, trust me, it will be a huge pain to try to keep them supplied with water. All that depends on where you're located too, of course.

Last edited:
Can you get electricity to your coop? If using a heated water dish is an option, then that takes away the worst part about dealing with chickens in winter - the frozen water. So if you can use a heated water container, then I say go for it. Otherwise, trust me, it will be a huge pain to try to keep them supplied with water. All that depends on where you're located too, of course.

We do have electricity available out at the coop and I've already researched the DIY metal tin/light bulb water heating system.

My brother is helping me build the coop and we've decided to modify the Wichita Cabin design to fit beside our pool house.

Now I just need to find a hatchery that has the four breeds I want
1f601.png

So I've gotten the go ahead for chickens in our backyard. I have my coop/run all planned out and have my five chicks chosen (three EEs, a cuckoo Maren and an Australorp).
If you are thinking cuckoo maran for the chocolate colored egg, I would look at the other marans or a welsummer. Every CM I have had has laid a cream colored egg (3 different hatcheries/breeders)

If you are thinking cuckoo maran for the chocolate colored egg, I would look at the other marans or a welsummer.  Every CM I have had has laid a cream colored egg (3 different hatcheries/breeders)

That was the reason why...well that and the fact that they're usually pretty docile and we have four young girls that'll no doubt want to play with the chicks (safely or course).

How are the Welsummers with winters and not having a gigantic run?

My husband has now told me unless I let him get a Foghorn Leghorn chicken we can't have any.

Such a child.
1f61c.png

My husband has now told me unless I let him get a Foghorn Leghorn chicken we can't have any.

Such a child.
1f61c.png

He does know that would be a rooster, right? Are you allowed to have roosters? You mentioned having your five picked out - is that a limit due to ordinance or just that it would be a minimum order limit? If the former, does that ordinance prohibit crowing birds? If the latter, this is your opportunity to leverage such a request for an increase in the total number of birds you will have with your husband ;-)

And I forgot to mention that my CM have gone broody for the 4th time this summer. That gets old if you don't need one.

So get him a white leghorn pullet. (or buy him a Foghorn Leghorn stuffed rooster doll) I actually enjoy my one white egg layer for even more variety. I have been happy with my Welsummers. I have one that puts spots on her egg so that is a big plus with the people that buy my eggs. Their combs are small so I haven't had any problem with frostbite. Leghorns are another story.

We can have as many hens as we can care for. No roosters, so he does know it would be a lady Foghorn leghorn if we do get one. And the idea of a white layer to round out the basket does sound nice. I'll make him lube up her comb!

No better time like the present. Like most other things if you wait till you're ready it'll never happen. I would suggest buying at least double the amount you want to end up having due to issues u may run into raising especially since it's your first go round

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom