Chicks of different ages in same coop/run

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by amyquilt, Aug 16, 2008.

1. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    I have 3 Silkies that are +/- 10 weeks old. I also have 5 BO that are are +/- 4 weeks old.

My question is on moving the Silkies to layer feed. Since they are all in together, how do I do this? Is it ok to mix starter and layer and all of the chicks eat the mix?? Will it hurt the BO to get the layer feed so young??

I plan to build another coop for the BO, but not certain when I'll get it done.

2. 2manyhats

2manyhats Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Central NY
    The silkies don't need to be on layer for about 10 more weeks. I would be more worried about pecking with the two different ages. I have found that when I put some younger birds in a cage in the coop for a week and then I let them out into the coop, the older chicks didn't attack. They were used to having them around. I still watched closely for bullying.
  3. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    They've been together for 2 weeks and are doing fine together. The first couple of days, the Silkies kinda "shunned" the BO, but that only lasted a short time and they all do well together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by