Chicks on layer feed?

SummerTheAnimalGirl

✝️Christ is everything!
Apr 7, 2022
So…I have a bit of a problem. I have 12, 8 week old chicks. I order non-GMO corn and soy free feed, but they mixed up my order and instead of sending me chick feed, sent me layer feed! I just ran out of chick feed. I unfortunately don’t have any feed stores near, and so I am in a bit of a pickle.

My question is, is it ok for the chicks to be on layer feed for a week (Two, tops), while I wait for the chick feed to arrive? Or is not absolutely not healthy, even for this short time?

TIA!

So…I have a bit of a problem. I have 12, 8 week old chicks. I order non-GMO corn and soy free feed, but they mixed up my order and instead of sending me chick feed, sent me layer feed! I just ran out of chick feed. I unfortunately don’t have any feed stores near, and so I am in a bit of a pickle.

My question is, is it ok for the chicks to be on layer feed for a week (Two, tops), while I wait for the chick feed to arrive? Or is not absolutely not healthy, even for this short time?

TIA!
I don't think a few days would matter, but a week is pushing it.
I'm just thinking how much my chicks grow in one week, I wouldn't want them to have to low protein and high calcium for that long.
Some hard-boiled egg would likely help.

I don't think a few days would matter, but a week is pushing it.
I'm just thinking how much my chicks grow in one week, I wouldn't want them to have to low protein and high calcium for that long.
Some hard-boiled egg would likely help.
Thank you for the reply! I Can absolutely supplement with hard-boiled eggs and high protein feed. They also have lots of forage.

Should be okay for a week or two until you can get the proper feed. And 8 week olds should be able to handle pellets in most cases, in case this is a pelleted feed. Calcium damage is accumulated over time, chicks won't suddenly die just because the calcium is higher than they need.

Back
Top Bottom