chicks or no chicks?

atr04screw

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
My hen has been laying on some eggs for about a total of 4 1/2 weeks. By the time I was able to mark the eggs she was laying on, some of them were almost a week old and some had been layed that day, so my hatch has been happening slowly over about a week. So far, 6 have hatched, a couple were stepped on and broken early on, and 4 eggs are left. My question is, these last 4 eggs have been laid on for almost 4 weeks and haven't hatched, so are they probably not fertile eggs? I couldn't tell if there was anything in them by using a light, but I shook them some, and 3 sound like they are empty with some fluid inside of them, and 1 doesn't make any sound. Are the 3 that sound empty probably duds and the other one possibly have a chick in it? Thanks.

The 3 sound rotten and the quiet one might have a chick in, but 4 weeks is a bit long. Is the quiet one heavy or light?

I'll go check to see if there is a weight difference. I had one more hatch yesterday before I posted this, so I'm hoping that atleast one more will hatch so that I can have a total of 7.

Back
Top Bottom