Chicks out of shape?

eggcamefirst

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 14, 2010
Piedmont Triad, NC
So I took my 3.5 and 2.5 week olds outside today to play for a bit. The ran around a little but mostly stayed in my shadow and didn't wander far (except for the two who ran off into the briars). When I brought them back inside, they were all panting like crazy....they were out for maybe 10 minutes in 85 degree weather. Is this because they are being brooded in an 70 degree basement and its just that much of a temperature difference? Or is this normal? Should I offer water when we go outside?

They seem fine now

Quote:
I'm in a similar situation. How long can you keep chicks outside before you need to start bringing water?

Quote:
x 2 Water every time
smile.png

Will they be able to adjust when its time to be in the coop at 5 weeks?
Should I gradually increase the time they are outside to help with the eventual adjustment?

I give my chicks water no matter how short their outside playtime is, and they drink a lot while they are outside; even in 75 degree weather with shade!

Quote:
Just make sure they have plenty of cool,clean drinking water and also access to shade and they should be fine.If temps get really hot (like 90 or above)I would use my judgement on when it's too much for them and then go from there.They are going to pant when it's hot out.They will also hold their wings away from their bodies to expel heat.It's how they cool off...also colder water helps them to cool off as well.Keep the water in the shade so it stays cooler
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom