Chicks panting but not too hot? Are they ok?

DH can deal with the chicks in his space a few more weeks until we get past these severe winter storms. Where are you located? What are the days like right now when you're between storm fronts?

I highly recommend chicks age two weeks and older begin spending time outside in their run on calm, sunny days when the temp is in the 70s. This alleviates stress caused by brooder crowding and it helps wean chicks off heat. You begin slowly by taking them out at the warmest time of day when it's calm. Leave the carrier in a safe area and let the chicks come out on their own. They will also return when they feel chilled. This signals you need to take them back inside to the brooder.

Increase outdoor time each day. It's quite possible the chicks can move into the coop with an outdoor run at 4 weeks, just requiring heat at night by that time. BY heat weaning, beginning now, you encourage feather development and you're able to get them moved outside earlier than if you keep them in a heated brooder 24/7.

I am in the mountainous part of Virginia, so 70 degree days feel a long way away right now but it probably could start to happen in a couple of weeks. Right now, Days in the 40s and nights in the 20s sounds nice but in reality it has been colder than that. The chicks can live in the workshop for a while if need be, even up to 8 weeks or so. But I will try to sieze the opportunity to wean them off heat. I think you are right, I have been keeping them too wam. Just paranoid about them getting chilled. Thanks for all the advice.

More chicks are killed by too much heat than too little. Can you turn off the lamp when you run the washer or dryer? What about putting a dimmer switch on the lamp if you can't step down to a lower watt bulb? If that coop is in the shop, and there's obviously electricity there, I'd get them out into the coop ASAP with their heat lamp. At 2 weeks, their warm spot should be 85* or less!

Since the washer and dryer seem to be an observable problem (panting while it's running, not panting when it's off), I'd wonder about the air in the room during your washing times. Does it get very moist? Is your detergent scented?

Chickens are notoriously picky when it comes to anything respiratory. Just some food for thought.

Meanwhile, I agree with the others on the bulb being too close. But reading and observing are two very different things. I can read that it's 20" away and think "omg they're being cooked" but in practice, maybe that is just fine for a cold room, I just wouldn't know that since I brood in an unused bathroom at room temperature.

Good luck!

If you do, be sure to choose a heating pad that has a continuous on cycle, and that can be turned down enough to be safe. I believe that Sunbeam makes a model with an option for continuous on or 2 hour on cycles.

Back
Top Bottom