Chicks pecking each other?

Graidyn

Chirping
Feb 23, 2020
Upstate NY
I have 8 mixed bantam babies from TSC that we picked up on Wednesday. They weren't much help on hatch day, so they're 4-6 days old I think. We have them identified and it looks like we have 5 BB Red OEGB's and 3 Golden Sebrights. They have a large brooder, temps are good, they are very musical and happy chicks.

We noticed yesterday that the Sebright's wing feathers have these extremely fine kinda fly away feathers on the tips, and the BB Red's just will NOT leave them alone. They're not pulling the feathers out or anything (yet) and they don't appear to be hurting the Sebrights, but there are times when all 5 BB Reds will be pulling at one Sebright all at once (not always the same Sebright either, just whichever one is unlucky I guess).

We put toys in the brooder for them, some metal cat food bowls that are nice and shiny (upside down and empty), a couple of mirrors, a little bridge my husband built for them to play on, a perch, a butter box with the ends cut off (didn't have a toilet paper tube handy), a cat ball with a bell in it, etc. (it's a pretty large brooder that hubby built). And really, they are just LOVING all of their toys, but inevitably one of the poor Sebrights will be playing next to some BB Reds and then they're all pulling at those tiny little feathers again. I know there is a pecking order and I understand that, but it really seems like these tiny little feathers resemble worms or something to them? It really seems like a an "oh, what's that?" kind of pecking instead of targeted. And sometimes the Sebrights will sleep THROUGH it! Twice today I tried distracting them by throwing a little of their food in their bedding so they could scratch at it (and that WORKS, they LOVE it) but then a little Sebright will be scratching next to BB and it begins again.

So.... is there anything else I can do about this? Is there anything I SHOULD do about this, or am I being a worry wort? These are my first chicks and I just wanna give them the best care I can. They're not sick, all are eating and drinking well and none are lethargic or anything (though the Sebrights are much more laid back than the BB's). A few have pasty butt, but we clean them up 2-3 times a day and we're down from 4 with it to only two that had to be cleaned up tonight (and even those are getting MUCH better).

Are they too young for a sand dust bath? I have play sand if that's okay to use, and I have chick grit, but I think they're not supposed to have that until 2 weeks old. Also they're getting probiotic and electrolyte water along with another waterer that has plain water with a tiny bit of ACV and they're on medicated feed. Anything I can improve? Thank you for your time!

Thank you! My husband built it and they've got lots of room to play. They seem to really enjoy themselves. I was hoping it's okay, but worried it would lead to them being rougher and the little Sebrights are so sweet and laid back I don't want them to get bullied. I wish I had room for goats :)

Chicken maths got me BAD:thi keep wanting to buy chicks, but then I think “ responsibility, KiwiandPeachThePigeons, responsibility.” Gahhh its so frustrating:barnie
Haha, me too! I did all my research, ordered Orpington chicks to come in April so I'd have plenty of time to get everything perfect and ready and then the husband went to TSC and his heart melted and now I have these guys. Luckily they'll be done with the brooder before the Orpingtons come and he can only blame himself while he makes the coop bigger than we planned!

Chicks are curious and things like other chick's eyeballs, toes, feathers can be very peckable looking. As long as it's not bleeding or being stripped bare I wouldn't worry about it too much.

You can give them a dust bath if you want, they'll use it when they're ready to use it (no real set time on that). Grit is fine as well, I give mine grit from the start since you never know what they'll put into their mouths.

Chicks are curious and things like other chick's eyeballs, toes, feathers can be very peckable looking. As long as it's not bleeding or being stripped bare I wouldn't worry about it too much.

You can give them a dust bath if you want, they'll use it when they're ready to use it (no real set time on that). Grit is fine as well, I give mine grit from the start since you never know what they'll put into their mouths.

Thank you! Is play sand okay to use (fresh out of the bag, not out of a sand box or anything)? Should I put the grit in a separate dish or can I put it in with the dust bath or food?

Thank you! Is play sand okay to use (fresh out of the bag, not out of a sand box or anything)? Should I put the grit in a separate dish or can I put it in with the dust bath or food?

I believe play sand is fine? Not 100% sure as I don't use sand in any capacity and I don't know what specifically goes into "play sand" so you might want to do a forum search to see if you can turn up any specifics on recommended types of sand for chickens.

For grit (and I know different people handle it differently) what I do for chicks is sprinkle a little bit on top of their food every few days (almost like putting a bit of pepper on your dinner). Once they get older, when they're too big for chick grit and have progressed to pullet/hen grit, I no longer put it on food and have it in a container to the side for them to pick through.

I believe play sand is fine? Not 100% sure as I don't use sand in any capacity and I don't know what specifically goes into "play sand" so you might want to do a forum search to see if you can turn up any specifics on recommended types of sand for chickens.

For grit (and I know different people handle it differently) what I do for chicks is sprinkle a little bit on top of their food every few days (almost like putting a bit of pepper on your dinner). Once they get older, when they're too big for chick grit and have progressed to pullet/hen grit, I no longer put it on food and have it in a container to the side for them to pick through.

Thank you. I did check the forums and some other places and it's a 50/50 - some say it's perfectly fine, others say it isn't (and a lot say it covers everything in dust, but I kinda figure that's the point?). I decided to give it a shot, but we baked it to make sure it was completely dry, and ran it through a sieve to make sure there wasn't anything in it that shouldn't be. They seem to like it, though they aren't bathing per se, just kind dig in it and peck a little. The grit I put a little dish of it and they aren't really bothering with it. I'll try sprinkling some in their food. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom