chicks pecking other chicks

homemakerjulie

Songster
9 Years
Mar 7, 2010
west central, MO
Hi, we have 16 chicks that are between 4 and 6 weeks old (all bought at the same time). Just today I have noticed that they have started pecking. Specifically the dark colored ones (Rhode Island reds and Astrolorps) are pecking the Cornish crosses. They CC have a few bloody spots on them. How could you stop this? Is it best to just seperate them? I have heard something about putting something on the bloody spots that stops it but I can't find the reference anywhere!

Thank you so much.

Sadly the pecking just happens in a lot of instances. You can try Blu-Kote, Hot Pick or Black Grease. To be honest with you, the thing that has worked the best for me is a layer of Vaseline and then a layer of Vicks Vapo Rub. I've tried them all and that one works best.
If the picking escalates, it may be necessary to separate them until they are healed up.
Hope it works out for you!

Hope it works(bet it does). I love the smell too, but I bet it tastes bad!
big_smile.png

Once the chicks start picking....they will pick! They pick all red or bloody spots......Check threads on here with a search for cannibalism. That's why some people use red lights, until they heal up. Also, that's why the big company's debeak chicks. (Something I can't stand!)
The chicks that are picked need to be separated into a different brooder.
Good Luck and get some electrolytes and vitamins in the water if you don't have it in there already.

Oh, I forgot to add....don't let the vicks vapor rub get into their eyes. They will possibly have vision damage if not go blind. Camphor is NOT good for eyes or mucus membranes. So if/when you use it, use it sparingly.

Last edited:
So far so good, it's been several hours now (at least 3) and no new picking. If it looks like it started up again, we'll seperate them tomorrow. Don't have two feeders or waterers, so would need to get that before putting them apart. I like the idea of a red light, that would be helpful. Thanks again you all!
smile.png

Julie (I'll try to get an update tomorrow - hubby works nights, so just now going to sleep, night owl!)

Quote:
I've also heard Wonder Dust as well as Blu Kote. You can find both at horse supply stores if you have trouble locating them otherwise.

Careful with the Blu Kote, though. It's called that for a good reason. Anything that touches it will be stained blue. For a long time. I speak from long experience.
smile.png
Good stuff, though!

Back
Top Bottom