Chicks pooping blood???

SarahJoy11

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
I have 7 week old chicks. They seem to have bloated crops but im not exactly sure. Maybe its supposed to look like that. ..Some of them are pooping blood. Its not everytime. I brought one inside and it had blood one time and not the next. They dont act sick at all but Its been two days now of this happening. I am worried about them. Does anyone know whats wrong?

The probably have cocci.
Read this:
Cocci http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/poultry-coccidiosis

A bit on how medicated feed works. This has probably been covered earlier in this thread but I'll go through it.

Cocci is caused by a certain parasite. The problem is not that the parasite is present, that is actually a good thing because after two to three weeks of constant exposure the chicken develops an immunity to that specific strain. The problem comes when the numbers get out of hand. Part of the life cycle of that parasite involved a couple of days in wet conditions with manure present. That can be a wet brooder, coop, or run, maybe just around your waterer if it leaks, or that can be dirty water. Wet is usually associated with an outbreak. The chicken eats enough of those parasites when it drinks dirty water or pecks at wet ground so the numbers get out of control.

I always say to check the medicine in medicated feed. The vast majority of the time it's Amprolium but there are a few feeds that contain something else. If it's not Amprolium what I'm going to say does not apply.

The dosage of Amprolium in medicated feed does not kill all of the parasite. It interferes with the parasite reproducing so it reduces the numbers but it allows a few to live so the chicken can develop that immunity it needs without the numbers getting out of hand. That does not give you an excuse to have a wet brooder or dirty water, those can still cause problems. If you have a history of Cocci medicated feed can help, even if things are pretty dry.

Medicated feed can interfere with the vaccine taking effect if they have been vaccinated. That's a weakened strain to start with, the medicated feed may be enough to kill it out, even in that small dosage.

The medicated feed does not give them immunity to Cocci, that parasite has to be present before they develop immunity to it. Feeding them medicated feed will not hurt them, it just won't do any good if that bug is not present. A common mistake is for people to feed medicated feed to them when they are in the brooder but that parasite is not present. Then when the chicks go from the brooder to coop and run they stop feeding medicated feed and they chicks come down with Cocci. People wan to blame the medicated feed for that but the real problem is that it was not used properly.

I don't use medicated feed. I start feeding mine dirt from the run a couple of days after they go in the brooder. I keep the brooder dry and change the water regularly, at least every two days to make sure I interrupt the life cycle of that parasite. That also interrupts the life cycle of any mosquitoes breeding in that water.

Hope this helps you make an informed decision. In my opinion it does not hurt to feed it and if used correctly it might help.

If I get corid and it's not that will it hurt them? Is thay stuff harmful? Its not an antibiotic from my understanding?. Thanks for the help!! :)

The post I quoted from @Ridgerunner is an excellent explanation of what medicated feed.
OP may have been feeding it already and if so they should read it to help better understand what is causing the cocci..if that is what they are dealing with.

I did not mean in any way for OP to use medicated feed to solve their issue.
(just for extra clarification)

If I get corid and it's not that will it hurt them? Is thay stuff harmful? Its not an antibiotic from my understanding?. Thanks for the help!! :)
You most likely are dealing with cocci...99% sure.
Corrid will not hurt them and no it is NOT an antibiotic.

You need to act quick...they are itty bitty and it can kill them fast.

The post I quoted from @Ridgerunner is an excellent explanation of what medicated feed.
OP may have been feeding it already and if so they should read it to help better understand what is causing the cocci..if that is what they are dealing with.

I did not mean in any way for OP to use medicated feed to solve their issue.
(just for extra clarification)

Sorry - wasn't my intention to suggest you were! The article I linked to had a lot of info on medicated feed before it got to the part that talked about treatment.

I just read that post this morning. Excellent post.

Sorry - wasn't my intention to suggest you were! The article I linked to had a lot of info on medicated feed before it got to the part that talked about treatment.

I just read that post this morning. Excellent post.

It happens...I probably read wrong. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom