1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chicks prefer lamp to EcoGlow?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fightingbunny, Jun 8, 2017.

1. fightingbunny

fightingbunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2016
    Maryland
    Does anyone know why my chicks all prefer staying under a heat lamp instead of going under the EcoGlow? I put both in because I have 22 chicks and I didn't want risk anyone being pushed out into the cold. Now I have no chicks going under the EcoGlow!! Is there something I can do to encourage them to go under it?

Thanks,
    Jenn

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Is the EcoGlow the correct size for that many chicks? If so, shut off the lamp. You might have to push a few under but they should get the idea pretty quickly.

In nature, the sun goes down or it's a cloudy day and the chicks seek their warmth from their hen (electric or otherwise). But, on a sunny day, they may just bask for a warm-up. That's what you're seeing -- it's forever sunny in your brooder.

blackdog043 likes this.
  3. IZZYBELLA

IZZYBELLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    Maine
    I am interested in seeing answers to this because I have been contemplating an EcoGlow.

4. 1TurkenLover

1TurkenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2013
    WASHINGTON state

X2 TOO MUCH SUN, IF EcoGlow is Correct size for amount of chicks. Loose the heat lamp. Put regular Light bulb instead. put on timer, OR turn Light on - off as Sun Shine. It'll give them sun light & EcoGlow gives Heat they can come and go as needed. . .

blackdog043 and EvansMeXo like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by