Chicks, pullets, or hens? What's the best for a first timer

I personally started with Pullets and Im so happy I did. I was able to get 15 week old pullets so found I was able to bond with them very well. They gave me the appreciation of chickens without the difficulty of having chicks to raise.
I have since gotten adult hens and found them to already have some issues or have some trouble adjusting to my flock.
I have also gotten fertilised eggs for my hens who have then hatched the chicks. I have found raising chicks with a broody hen has been a pleasure.
I then tried an incubator to hatch chicks but luckily had a broody who was happy to take on the chicks once they hatched.
I find in my flock my chicks and pullets were my friendliest. The adult hens I got over the years were the most withdrawn.
ALL have been a dream to raise

For a first timer, who has never owned or raised chickens, I would personally start with ready-to-lays. That way you know the sex and breed you're getting. You wont end up with rooster. You'll know their age and they will have a good immune system. Starting with chicks has many more risks, complications and expenses.

Back
Top Bottom