Chick's right eye hurt or disease?

Proud E Z

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
So I just incubated chicks and 10 hatched. About 3, maybe a 4th, has their right eye closed most of the time. It's odd that it's all their right eyes. They can open them although they don't very often. I was reading some posts here and some people said maybe they got scratched/pecked/bumped whatever. Then others said it was a disease that could kill them. How do you know the difference? There is no crust or major swelling (maybe just minor swelling) but they just came out of the incubator hours ago. There isn't any puss or liquid either. I just don't want them to die or anything! Can I put an ointment on them just in case and what ointment/where would I get it. Or any other advice? Thank you guys, y'all are so amazing here. So much help and positivity!💞💖

Eye problems happen quite a bit. Be very careful of putting ointment on it - just make sure it is approved for use in birds. Vetricyn has some products approved for birds, that you can find on chewy. Don't put any distilled water on it, as it could actually pull water from the eye and cause more problems.

Make sure the chicks are getting everything they need to boost immune system - electrolyte and vitamin water mix, fresh crumble.

Send a pic if you can.

How long did they take to hatch?

It could be a disease, but there are so many unknowns. Newcastle is a possibility. They can survive this, but will be carriers.

Think positive!

I have one like that, but the left eye. His name is Blinky and he’s almost 3 weeks old now. His eye has gotten better over time, but he still closes it more often than the other eye and appears to be sleeping a lot of the time if you look at him from that side. It doesn’t seem to bother or stop him in any way though. He’s the feistiest, most adventurous and cuddliest of the bunch and is a healthy, happy chick. I have no idea what’s wrong with his eye, or with your chicks’ eyes, just wanted to share my experience. If the chicks are acting normal and there’s no swelling or discharge from the eyes, I’d say let them be and keep an eye on them. I haven’t put anything on Blinky’s eye.

Here he is, then and now, from the bad eye’s side.

065DF085-BF38-467D-8543-EAB0B5C6DC23.jpeg

AE8A9EE6-E9C5-4744-B3B5-4B2898C849F0.jpeg

This is one of them, her other eye is open and she's walking about pecking and being normal. But there are a few like this just wandering about with one eye open and the right eye closed. Ok, if I do anything I'll make sure it's bird approved ointment. I'm not really sure how long any of them took, but all took only a matter of a few hours or less to hatch. They all hatched so quickly after pipping for the most part. They were all on the 21st day too, so no early/late hatches.

That is reassuring, that little guy is a cutie and looks very happy. Hopefully that's all that will happen with these guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20210505_221559126.jpg
    IMG_20210505_221559126.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 9
Hi Again! They are very cute!

I am looking at your bedding. Do you know if it contains any cedar? I see some red chips in the mix, which could be cedar. If so, this may be the issue. Cedar has very potent oils that can cause irritation to respiratory system, skin and eyes.

Another thing to consider for your enclosure is that shavings may actually be ingested by young chicks and could cause a blockage. I usually use dog wee-pads or similar for the first week - you can even use the white kitchen paper towels right now. They need something that they wont slip on. After a week or so, I add a light layer of pure pine shavings.

Keep us posted! : )

Hi! Thank you so much for saying something!! That is cedar shavings. I am allergic to pine so I got cedar thinking it would all be the same. That's so interesting and I didn't know that at all! I can definitely get some doggy pee pads. After a week since I can't use pine shavings what should I do then? And should I wipe off the chicks when I put them in their new pee pad enclosure? So I get off any oils. Or would getting them wet chill/hurt them?

Again, I am so glad you noticed and said something, I totally didn't know that!

Hello! Ok, yes thats the issue then :)

It's ok, this is how we learn sometimes!

I don't think you have to wipe them. I'm hoping the issue will clear up as soon as the irritant is removed. So just remove it quickly.

Pine shavings can be a respiratory irritant as well (but only due to fine dust partical size), but they are less of an issue for birds regarding the oil.

After a week, you can remove the pads or the paper towels. I know they have commercial bedding you can buy for chickens that isnt shavings. I think there are paper forms and also hemp bedding is new to the market.

If I find a specific brand, I'll let you know :)

I use play sand from Home Depot in my brooders and I love it! Paper towels on top of it for the first 4-5 days until they learn what food is, so they don’t eat it. After that I remove the paper towels and they are fine. I scoop it like kitty litter, but with a reptile scoop, which has smaller holes (so the little poops don’t fall through). It doesn’t smell or get dusty, it stays dry, it’s easy, and isn’t wasteful like shavings which you have to keep changing and throwing out. This is my second year using sand and I love it!

You don’t have to wipe or wash the chicks, but if you get them wet, you can dry them with a hair dryer set to low.

Thank you guys! That's amazing - hemp bedding?

And sand? That's a fantastic idea! I know they like to peck at the shavings so the paper towels over the sand is a great idea.

They really do try to eat anything I think😂

Back
Top Bottom